Saturday, February 02, 2019

Two Blocks -LHQSQ 2.0

For the Left-Handed Quilter Sampler quilt along,  I have made my first two blocks.  Since there are 99 blocks to choose from and we are only making 25 of them, we can choose which ones we want to make.
My fabrics for this will be mostly Kaffe Fassett by Free Spirit.  The 10" squares and some charm packs were on sale and I couldn't resist the colorful delights.

The pieces were cut with my Accuquilt Go! cutter using the 8" Qube set.  These are 6 inch finished blocks, but the 2" square and 2" half-square triangles from that set were perfect for cutting these.

The Contrary Wife is the first block I chose to make.
These two blocks are in the "not too hard" category, in my opinion.  They are simple half square triangles and simple square fabric units.

For the second block, I chose an old favorite - the Friendship Star.
This block can be arranged to rotate either direction.   These fabrics certainly change the look of the blocks.  One of those yellow HSTs has blue right along the edge of the star point which seems to change the shape just a bit.  The center square has a pink burst that is seven pointed.  It is actually the veins of a leaf, but it has a nice "starburst" feel in the middle of my star block.  This was completely serendipitous - but I love it.

Only 23 more blocks to go...but I will be taking this one slow and easy.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

These look great. Love the friendship star always!

Turid said...

Lovely blocks made from lovely fabrics.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Looking good!! - ;))

diane said...

Awesome!

Barbara said...

I agree with Diane, awesome! The first one especially is beautiful. I know the design is simple, but the play of fabric and colors is stunning!

Kathleen said...

Love Kaffee and will love seing these come together.

GranChris said...

I really like your fabric choices. First one looks best to me. I hope you don't throw away the scraps. I see wonderful things with those.

Frog Quilter said...

I see a fabulous quilt in the making. It's already beautiful!

Marlene said...

Wow those fabrics are spectacular! I'll have to see if the local quilt shop has Kaffe Fassett fabrics available. Not being a quilter anymore I'd want a whole garments worth!

Kathleen said...

Love your blocks, Gene. Beautiful fabrics.
I was thinking about you the other day. Do you know of Maker's Mercantile and the new product they are offering? It's yarn all knit up in a sort of tube/ribbon and then rolled into a coil. It's white and ready for dyeing however you wish. Then after it's dry you pull it apart and you have pretty dyed yarn all ready to work with. I don't craft with yarn but this seems like fun to me.