Saturday, March 09, 2019

A little Bit of Improv

Improv piecing is always fun for me.  I was surprised to learn that improv piecing is one of the elements of modern quilting.  Why? you may be asking.  You see, I have never thought of myself as a modern quilter.
The following comes for the Modern Quilt Guild "What is Modern Quilting" pdf.  There is a lot more information there about modern quilting.

MQ Design Elements 
• Use of negative space 
• No borders 
• Minimal 
• Bright and graphic color palettes       
• Improvisational piecing 
• Grid work 
• Asymmetry 
• Modern traditionalism 
• Exaggerated scale •
 Pixelization 
• Texture 
• Less is more

At least some of these are the usual hallmarks of what I like to do, although I do tend to add borders. I love bright and graphic color palettes AND improv piecing.  Here is what I have been working on.
Two improv "blocks" and an improv strip.
Aren't those bits of "snakeskin" batik a fun addition?
 I hope you are noticing the gray fabric in these pieces.  It is an Island Batik solid made from the same fabric used for the batiks. It is more densely woven which results in less fraying.  It also comes in a black and a white version.  I absolutely love using it.
On this section of the improv strip you can see that some of the pieces are not cut straight.
Here is a close-up showing some of the tiny pieces that I rescued and added to the piecing.
The pennies are there for scale.
And finally, here are the Island Batik Moroccan Bazaar strips that I am using as part of this.


The fabrics used in this were all provided to me as an Island Batik Ambassador to use in projects and challenges.  However, I do buy Island Batik fabrics for other projects because I love working with it.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Wow, cool. I've thought about modern piecing but didn't really understand the process. Thanks for the info!! Love your fabric choices.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Great colours. I am currently working on an improv scrap project for Island Batik, complete with the grey solid and snakeskin print too! Of course, that's where the similarities end, but it was fun to see your post this morning. :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those colors are vibrant! Nice!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Ooh, I LOVE your improv piecing - especially the "rescued" pieces - ;))

Turid said...

This is so cool. I've just taken a class online with Amy, and I'm going to experiment more with improv projects.

Barbara said...

This beautiful work reminds me how far “quiltmaking” has come since it’s beginning when all a person tried to do was use what was at hand to stay warm. A lot of that work was quite wonky, and now we try to duplicate the look in some ways. Have we come full circle with improv? Maybe. Gene, your expertise also reminds me how so far ahead of the pack you have come. I think you have lapped” me many times. LOL!
I love seeing what you are doing and imagining what can be done, you are an inspiration, but I’ve accepted that my quiltmaking day’s are over. There’s just so much time left, and my hands have to do easier things.

Kathleen said...

Love your blocks. I always save the tiniest pieces of fabric. I should try my hand at something like this and use them up!

Jeanna said...

Love these blocks. You make great use of even the smallest pieces.