Monday, March 04, 2019

Daisy Chain Quilt Along - The Piecing Begins

You may remember that I chose the fabrics  for the Daisy Chain Quilt Along



Then  I  did the cutting and actually organized it quite nicely (for a change.)









Now the first sewing instructions have been posted and I have completed the first step.
In this stack there are 40 four patches for the Mystery Quilt.  The directions call for 39 but I had enough pieces to make 40 - and I didn't count until all 40 were made.  I call it good.  It is nice to have a spare in case one isn't quite the right size - or if I mess it up in a later step.
That is really purple... the colors did not photograph well. 
I must say that I have gotten spoiled with the Island Batik fabrics.  They don't generally fray - but as you can tell, this orange fabric has frayed quite a bit.  This will still make a good quilt  but it will leave more of a mess in the process.

Are you quilting along with us?  It isn't too late to start.  There are four size options from Baby to Queen.  I am making the throw size.  It is bigger than a baby quilt, but smaller than a twin.   It is nice to have throw quilts to snuggle in on a cool night - or to take on a sunny day for a picnic.   But you may want to dip your toes in making a baby quilt. Those are great to have on hand for baby gifts.


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Quilting Gail said...

Looks great ... I too, have more than 39 4-patches!
Happy Quilting! :-)
Gail

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Orange and blue - nice color combo - LOL - ;))

Jeanna said...

I'm not sewing along but watching and cheering you on from the sideline. You always give such good information and detail about your process. I like the blue & orange 4-patches so far.

Do you remember the "Auburn" scarf you wove for me? Yep, blue and orange :)

Barbara said...

I am so tempted to try the smaller version, it’s the mystery right? Had to laugh before I enlarged the first photo. I saw pink and thought no! that’s not a good fabric for this colorful quilt. Then once enlarged I realized it’s your organizational note paper! I’ll give this some thought. If you reply please send the link for it, thx! No promises though. ;()

Alison V. said...

These look awesome, Gene! I can't wait to see more of your units in the coming weeks -- I think your orange background is going to be a lot of fun!

Barb said...

You are coming right a long, I love orange....will add that POP

Kate said...

Bright and bold 4-patches!