Friday, March 15, 2019

Value Makes a Difference

While playing with some more orange and purple fabrics I made two versions of a particular block.  More about the block later, but first let's take a look.
You can clearly tell that  one has higher contrast than the other. But you can see the design.  But suppose you were colorblind...  To simulate that, I changed the photo to grayscale.
The one on the right appears to be all one color. This is the difference that value plays in quilting. In either version of the photo, the block on the left is nicely contrasted and would even show well in dim light.  But, in dim light the block on the right would look "fuzzy" and lack definition.
The old saying is: "Color gets all the credit, but value does all the work."  I hope you can see the truth in that by looking at these blocks.
 If you are uncertain about picking value you can use a value viewer or if you have a smart phone, just take a photo of the fabrics together.  Most phones have an option of converting the photo to black and white.  If not, there are plenty of free apps that will do it.

That said, I will still use the bland block in the final quilt (unless I end up with an extra block.)

This block design is one that I found on Pinterest (I think.)   But there it was made with all half-square triangles.  I quickly saw that I could use the Accuquilt Go! Qube set to make an 8 inch version using the parallelogram  and the half square triangle. That removed eight seams per block. It did take a bit of thinking to figure out how to do the construction.  But it turned out to be easier than I initially thought.

I am considering doing a tutorial for this block using the Accuquilt Qube set.  I just wonder how many people would be interested in seeing it.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow, very interesting!

Rhonda said...

I like this post. Value is sometimes a bit hard for me.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love that quote - value does all of the work - that is so true! You have such a great way of explaining things - I think I figured out what you did and how you did it - but a tutorial on that block would be great - ;))

Debbie said...

Good explaining there, Gene! Great examples for value.

Pam said...

Great post. Over the years, I have learned that “bland blocks” add interest to a quilt. Sometimes it is nice to have an odd ball.

Quilting Gail said...

Very vivid example of "value". I agree with Pam .. the bland block will make others shine!
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Kathleen said...

A valuable explanation on value. It is the thing that so often makes a difference and so often we forget it.