Sunday, March 03, 2019

Vintage Reimagined -Cabins in the Stars

The March Challenge for the Island Batik Ambassadors is  titled "Vintage Reimagined."   Since that can have so many possible meanings,  I choose to reimagine some blocks and blend them together.

I used a slightly modified log cabin block and placed it inside an Ohio Star block.  Thus, the title I have chosen for this quilt is "Cabins in the Stars." 


The lovely Island Batik fabrics were provided by Island Batik  to the Ambassadors.  I used a variety of greens and purples with a pale yellow center for the Log Cabin blocks.  The lovely cheddar colored blender made perfect star points.  This was rounded out with the Iceberg and Silverado blenders along with a bit more of that dark purple batik as my background colors. The borders are also Island Batik in black and white solids.  I love the dense weave of these fabrics.  They are a delight to work with as they have almost no fraying.

















By having the star points meet, the background creates a nice secondary diamond shape.  I changed the background for the points that meet in the center to create an area to showcase the appliqué piece that I planned for the center.

The center is appliquéd with a machine embroidered circle.  The embroidery is from Patsy Thompson's Feathered Wreath machine embroidery collection.
Rather an embroider the center, I stopped the machine so that I could appliqué a small circle of the Iceberg batik there.  I used a purple Aurifil thread (also provided to me as an Ambassador) for the purple in the embroidery. My embroidery machine loved it.

After applying the center circle, I realized that there was just a bit too much space around it.  So I used the Accuquilt Daisy die that has two sizes of circle for the center and made a few more fusible appliqué circles.  My original idea was to use them to create an arc in each corner.  As I was preparing to fuse them down, something magical happened and this arrangement occurred. I think it makes the design a bit bolder.

We took the quilt, which measures 36 1/2 inches square, to my brother's house on the lake for the photo shoot.  So here are a few more gratuitous shots from the photo outing.
My brother and I, holding the quilt so you can see the lake in the background.

Of course, you probably want to see the back of the quilt also. I had a lot of fun quilting this small quilt. I used several quilting motifs that I have learned in various classes -and I made up a few also.
The Backing is a lovely Island Batik fabric named "Whip Cream."  It has bits of
blue and gray in a subtle design on the almost white fabric. 

And one more of my brother and I holding up the quilt for you. 

He was such a good sport to help with the photo shoot. 

Did you notice the flange on the binding? The binding is black. After trimming the quilt backing and batting, I saved the excess backing and made the flange. It was my first flanged binding, but it will not be my last.

I should also mention that I used the wonderful Hobbs premium cotton batting in this quilt.  It quilted beautifully.

I am linking this up to Meadow Mist Designs Favorite Finish Monthly for March.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

23 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, this is really fabulous! Great job and photos too. Your quilting looks wonderful but the binding just sets it all off perfectly.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That was a great way to modernize the traditional blocks, using batiks. Great center!

Dena@LivingWaterQuilter.com said...

Gene, you have so many wonderful details in Cabin in the Stars. I love flange bindings.

beaquilter said...

Lovely!

Anita said...

Beautiful!

Joyce Carter said...

Gene, that is an absolutely gorgeous quilt! I love the colors, but I really love the design. (Stars have become my favorite) When I first looked at the quilt, the center made me think of something out in space and it went sooo well with the stars. Great job!

Jeanna said...

You nailed this challenge, Gene! Cabin in the Stars is perfect. Nice photo shoot.

Quilting Gail said...

Nice to see the finished top!!!! :-) :-) Love how you came up with the name of your quilt. Very fitting!
Love it!
Such detail in the quilting! Looks great!
quiltinggail@yahoo.ca

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great quilt. Love the circles in the center block. Yes, flange binding is fun to use.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW!! That was definitely worth the wait!! Love your interpretation of the theme - and all of the detail in the center square. The flange binding sets it off beautifully - and it looks good from the back, too - ;))

Kathleen said...

Wow, this is one sharp little quilt!!

Vicki in MN said...

See you are having so much fun as an ambassador!!! Looks like your brother had fun helping too.

Barb said...

Love it, you have done a wonderful job...love the back as well...your FMQ is fabulous

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful Gene!

Angie said...

Amazing quilt! It is so awesome and detailed. Lots of work and love went into this one, I'm sure! That was nice of your brother to help you photograph the beautiful quilt! The lake is so pretty. Water is good! I like how you appliqued the middle. Have a happy day! :-) :-)

Vicki W said...

That turned out great!

Unknown said...

Gene, It is lovely!!! The batik fabrics make your quilt shine with beauty.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt Gene and love the quilting you did! I wish we had warm weather like you do!

Turid said...

I really love those stars with a log cabin middle. And your quilting is just perfect.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

So gorgeous! You did well with this challenge. Love the color combination. Mostly though I appreciate the outdoor shots. They are hard to get this time of year and yet the quilts look so much better! I need to do that more often. Thanks for linking up to my special Wednesday Wait Loss.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful finish, I love your take on the classic block. The quilting is beautiful!

Susan Smith said...

So lovely along with beautiful photos & also the detailed quilting shots. Thanks for sharing & take care.

Danice G said...

Bright and pretty little quilt. Your quilting is superb. So nice of your brother to help you hold the quilt for photos.