Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Preserving The Bounty

Some days we have to step back from our "routine" and do what is needed.  This year Mom's fig tree is once again producing a great bounty of figs.  I have no idea which variety of figs these are, but they make great preserves.  The figs looks something like this.
I usually pick them with just a little green left at the stem end.  Otherwise, the birds get them before I get the chance.

Today I made ten half pints of flavored fig preserves. I use the old standby "Faux Strawberry Preserves" recipe.  But I generally change it a bit. The recipe uses flavored gelatin (like Jello) instead of more traditional things like pectin.  Here are the first five I took out of the canning water bath.
Ten glorious jars of "Straw-Cherry" preserves are now sitting on my table. There is also about a third of a jar that went into the refrigerator. Those will be used to flavor my breakfast yogurt one day soon.

If you want to read about my process, I blogged it last year.   Right now, I am relaxing and listening as the jars "plink" sealed.  One just plinked - it may have been the final jar.

(You can also go to the search bar in the top left corner of my blog and type figs and enter for even more posts about my adventures in making preserves.)

I have more figs in the freezer and the tree is full of green figs as well as some in various stages of ripening.   Isn't it delightful what God provides for us?


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Those figs look wonderful!! I'm glad that you are able to preserve them and take advantage of your "bounty" - before the birds get to them - LOL - ;))

Barbara said...

I’m sure your Mom is very grateful for your culinary talents. It’s creative to turn figs into preserves!

Debbie said...

Nice bounty! The tastes of summer....enjoy.

Pamela Arbour said...

That brings back childhood memories. We had a fig tree in our back yard. I love fig preserves but don't care much for raw figs. I would be tempted to get a fig tree but then I might be tempted to eat the preserves! I try to stay away from sugar and that would definitely be a temptation! Thanks for the memories!

Rhonda said...

Oh my goodness Gene! I can practically smell and taste those wonderful preserves right now. Well done!

Jeanna said...

It's been a really long time since I've had real fig preserves. My grandmother had two trees in her Alabama yard and we always had preserves. I can take a smathering on her buttermilk biscuits now :) Enjoy!