Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Artsy Fartsy Bluebirds



As an Island Batik Ambassador we get a new challenge for each month. 
Products are provided by Island Batik and industry partner Aurifil for these projects.
Thanks Aurifil and Island Batik.


The July challenge is called the "Artsy Fartsy" challenge.  We were challenged to create an some type of artistic piece that uses three weights of Aurifil thread.  I had a great time gathering my threads and fabrics and deciding on my project.
I confess that there was not a lot of planning in this quilt. Rather, I put fusible onto some chosen fabrics and cut shapes.  Then I had some play time arranging and re-arranging the pieces. (then I fused and cut some more because I wanted more of some of them.)

Once I had an arrangement that I liked I fused it all into place. Then I started stitching.
I realized that I didn't have enough petals on the red flower, but I had some lovely red Aurifil thread #1103 in a 40 weight.  It went on the machine and I did some thread painting with it to create more petals. The 40 weight does nicely for free motion thread painting. I also used it to stitch down the other petals.
You can see that this was taken mid-process.
 The flower changed a bit more before it was finished. 
Meanwhile, this bluebird wing was cut from the exact same fabric as the background.  OOPS!  So let me fix that, but how?  Again, Aurifil thread to the rescue.  The wing is a rather delicate structure so a lighter weight thread seemed in order.  I had some 50 wt.  Aurifil #2730 that looked perfect for this.
The thread painting changed the look of the wing so that it doesn't blend into the background.

I did thread painting on several of the elements including this little broderie perse appliqué flower.

In a few places I got out of the lines, but I don't worry about that too much.
This is 28 wt Aurifil thread.
All of the broderie perse appliqué pieces were cut from a strip of Island Batik
 fabric that came in a Stash Builder package.  
This strip was all flowers and birds just perfect for this project

This odd little fantasy flower was embellished with some 40 wt thread.
The flower petals and blue birds were cut with a couple of Accuquilt dies that I have had for a long time.   After the green leaves were cut, I used the "waste" fabric, trimmed slightly to create the grass.


The grass was fused in place and later thread painted with both 50 wt and 28 wt Aurifil thread.  The 28 worked great in my machine with a size 90 needle and a 50 wt Aurifil thread in the bobbin.  I adjusted the tension to be sure that the bobbin thread did not come to the top.

The same red used for the flower petal was perfect to sign my quilt with free motion stitching
Finally, I fused the backing fabric over all the stitching and added a binding.   The binding was hand sewn to the back using 28 wt thread.  Surprisingly, it doesn't show at all.
 Two more broderie perse close-ups 

And that red flower....
It has more petals and embellishment on it. 

And now the final reveal


Isn't it delightful?  
Aurifil thread and Island Batik fabrics are a match made in heaven. 

(p.s.  I can hardly wait to show you my August project!  
      It is a new fabric line that I love and I think you will too.) 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

23 comments:

Websterquilt said...

Really fun Gene! I like what you did the bird's wing.

Creativeblonde66 said...

Beautiful, great work

Barb said...

Just fabulous Gene, I love every aspect of this little quilt. Thanks for showing how you proceeded with your threads and design.

Emily said...

Gene, this is beautiful!!! I especially like how you solved the wing problem. That background/sky fabric is breathtaking. And I love the "leftovers" as grass!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Beautiful!! I love the "progress" photos and the close-up ones of your thread painting. Nice solution for the bird wing - and a really nice "Artsy Fartsy" piece. These monthly challenges seem to be perfect for you and your talents - ;))

beaquilter said...

just adorable! a great happy art quilt!

Carla said...

It really is cute and it looks like you really enjoyed the process.

Frog Quilter said...

Delightful. This piece has lots of depth. I love the birds hidden in the grass. Very cute!!!!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Cheerful. That is the first word that came to mind when I saw the finished project.
Happy 4th
xx, Carol

Pamela Arbour said...

I do believe that you met that challenge plus some! It turned out beautiful.

Debbie said...

Very cute! Love your thread painting and embellishment.. Good adventure.

Jennifer Schifano Thomas said...

Wow Gene! This is so fantastic. I Love the way your flowers turned out. The overall look of your project is so fun and whimsical.

Vicki in MN said...

That turned out so cute! Great fix for the extra red petals needed. And a great idea was hatched for the bird's wing! My idea for this challenge keeps changing all the time. I need to just commit and get it done!

O'Quilts said...

wonderful job

Barbara said...

I agree with all the comments, the variations and rescues provided by the thread are awesome! I wasn’t aware of thread painting, and it’s wonderful. However, I can see a lot of twisting and turning like in FMQ, so I can’t try it, but I do appreciate your results. Well done!

Vicki W said...

Very cute! It looks like it was fun to make.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like it was a fun project to play with! I enjoyed seeing all your design choices!

Angie in SoCal said...

Your photo intense post is greatly appreciated, Gene. It makes studying it make an art quilt seem more doable fore me. Thanks!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderfully fun art quilt! Thanks for sharing all the detail photos and thread info.

Sally said...

What a delightful art quilt. Love that you have photographed every step of your fabulous, whimsical project!

Kathleen said...

Great little quilt! I love those IB birds - had some in last summer's collection. You did a great job with this artsy fartsy challenge.

Anita said...

A beautiful Artsy Fartsy quilt! Love your quilting and thread painting!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Your art quilt is fun and happy. I hope you have hung it somewhere that you can see it often and smile.