Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Fabric and Paint

In odd moments, I have been playing a bit more with some fabric and paint.  My paint stash has a lot of quality acrylic paints so I was hoping that I could find a way to use them with painting fabric.  After a bit of reading I found that Golden Paints makes a fabric medium that is called GAC 900.  A couple of days ago I purchased a small bottle to test it for my purposes.  There are two pieces that I can show you right now. The first one is dry and heat set.
This is relatively small, maybe 7" by 10" - but it should make an interesting sky piece for a landscape quilt at some time.

The weather here has been unusual in the amount of rain we have received.  That means that it is really humid and the painted pieces are taking forever to get dry. This is especially true of the ones that need to be laid flat to dry.
This next piece is still wet but the color seems to be close to what it will be when it is dry.

This one is a little larger than a fat quarter.   I used three colors of paint for this.  The blending created quite a variety of color.  The colors used are a red, a blue and a yellow. These are actually the same colors used in the sky piece.

For the sky piece, the paint was applied with a paint brush on damp fabric using a technique that I learned from a Mickey Lawler book.  I really need some sunny days to set up outside and paint fabric.
The second piece was done using a technique where the fabric is put in a ziplock bag and three colors of paint are dribbled in.  Then the bag is sealed and left to allow the paint to migrate.  Then it is taken out and laid flat to dry.  This piece of fabric will be great to do another stitching project like the one I am working on now.  Of course, it may choose a different path and become something else entirely.

The fabric in the first piece has a wonderful hand/drape/feel. It feels almost the same as before the paint was applied.  So I am very happy with the GAC 900 when used with the Golden Liquid Acrylic paints.  I hope that the second piece shown here works out the same.  I know it has more paint on it.

Meanwhile, I am still working on learning my lines for Clue!  And of course I am continuing to work on learning Spanish.  Maybe I am keeping my brain active enough.  Ha ha.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

VERY nice!! The Ziplock baggie technique sounds like a fun way to deal with messy paints - and should make a terrific background for your stitching. I'm looking forward to seeing what these two pieces become - ;))

Barb said...

Oh...I really like both pieces and can't wait to see what else you come up with.