Saturday, February 22, 2020

From UFO to Flimsy



Way back in August of 2014, I started a little quilt. It was planned to be a variation on the "Yellow Brick Road" pattern.  It still shows a hint of that beginning.

But later that month I saw a tutorial on inset circles.  So I started a detour.

I had made quite a few of blocks before this got completely sidetracked.

While doing some reorganization, I found this project and said "I need to get back to this and finish it."  So as a "time-filler" I pulled it out and played.  - And the play turned serious.  I made a few more blocks to have enough to make it a nice lap sized quilt.  Although I may yet add some borders on it - I am undecided. 

On a sunny Saturday morning and early afternoon it became a quilt top -also called a flimsy. 

It is scrappy and fun with batiks, prints and scraps all joined into a wild mishmash of visual delight. 
At least that is how I see it. 
It is 54" by 48" right now. I am thinking that 3 1/2" borders would pull it up to 60" by  54" 
The big question is : What type of fabric to use for the borders?   Solid or batik or a print?  Or maybe a combination of all three pieced randomly together?  

Or maybe just layer and quilt it and call it a finish?

Sorry I am thinking it out as I type.  
Feel free to make a suggestion - as long as it doesn't involve unsewing any of this. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

No unsewing at all, not an option. Heck, I can’t even do the sewing! So if this was mine, my inclination would be to do solid borders. The quilt itself is such an interesting conversation piece, so beautiful! I’d expect solid to sort of frame it, something it deserves. :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I'm with Barbara - no unsewing at all, not an option. But I disagree with solid borders - I think the piece is SO fun that a solid border would be boring. I would make a "border row" of 6" blocks all around - maybe a row of HST blocks using a combination of "darker" colors - to make it LOOK like a border. If my math is correct - you'd only have to make 38 HST - and they would go pretty quickly once you chose your fabric. And you DID ask - LOL - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

That turned out great. Sometimes it helps to have them sit in time out for a while.

Debbie said...

Wonderful. I love the artistic balance you gave it. The addition of the circles is grand. Borders....try a narrow one in strong accent color like the dark blue, and then turquoise for the border, even mixed patterns is fine just stay in the same color.

Marlene said...

I love it! And I'll offer zero suggestions since I trust your eye more than my own.

Connie Turner said...

I love it, so pretty and fun. I would go with solid borders and I really wish this quilt was going to be mine.

Barb said...

Six years in the makings....and it looks awesome!! I know it feels good to have it done.

Vicki W said...

Oh that's much better than a YBR!

Quilting Gail said...

Of course, there can be NO unpicking, NO reverse sewing, No frogging! None of it!
I love your addition of inset circles. It adds a delightful flavour to the quilt!
As for borders ... that's a hard one ... I usually put a variety of fabrics around the quilt and see what works best - or what doesn't work ...
Have fun deciding!
Happy Quilting! :-)

Kathleen said...

I love the inset circles!! Especially that one pop of pink :o)
I'm with Connie Turner . . . I wish it was going to be mine too!