Saturday, February 15, 2020

More Seminole Piecing - Batiks

The Seminole patchwork is still keeping me intrigued.   This time I pulled out some batiks from my Island Batik stash bin and played a bit.
To make this type of patchwork, you sew strips of varying widths and then sub-cut them and sew them back together.   The smaller strips in this were cut at 3/4"  - sewing them is a challenge to your quarter inch seam allowance -- as every bobble shows. I realized that my quarter inch is not nearly as good as I would like it to be.  But I am still happy with the patchwork.   Once it is quilted, the quilting will disguise the less than perfect seam allowance.

I really love the play of colors in this.  There was quite a bit of the leftover strip set after sewing the center band.  That became the border strips, top and bottom.  I think this piece will be great as part of the cover of a notebook or perhaps a binder. 

Seminole piecing is often used to make bands to decorate clothing or kitchen towels.  I have seen it on kitchen towels in the distant past, but I didn't realize what I was seeing as I wasn't a quilter then. If you are interested, here is a photo of the book I purchased to learn this technique.
I am sure that there are other books on the subject. Some may be better than this one. However, this one is a great starting point for me.

Have you ever done Seminole piecing? If so where/how did you learn the technique? 

A while back I told you that I had gone to a couple of auditions.  While I am still waiting to hear from one of them,  I was cast as "The Cop" in the local community theatre stage production of Clue!
This will  be a fun production.  We did our first read through this past Thursday night.  The cast is great and I think we will make a good ensemble/team.  But as I said before, I may be posting less on the blog as rehearsals will be taking up more of my time.



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations on being cast as "the cop" - have FUN with rehearsals and the shows - don't worry about blogging - we'll be here when you're ready. And NO - I have never done Seminole piecing - but I'll bet that I have some books on it somewhere - LOL - ;))

Barbara said...

I’ve never done this kind of piecing, and I LOVE your attempt at it. The colors are phenomenal together! I can so see it as a notebook cover. I hope you post a pic of yourself in the cop costume! 😊

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I did Seminole piecing back in the 1970s and 80s and taught classes in it. That was the best book with easy to understand directions. There was a lady who came to our store and taught classes in it before that book was written so that is where I started. I have another book by Taimi Dudley that goes into the history of Seminole patchwork as well as sewing instructions.

Your piece is very nice and batiks should work really well in it since they don't stretch or fray as much as other fabrics as well as being thinner. I remember how hard it was to make a perfect strip of it and just tried to make it the best I could.

Barb said...

I love the seminole piecing, just love it and the batiks work great. Congrats on your part....

Pamela Arbour said...

3/4"?????????? I read that a couple of times too make sure I read it right. Oh Gene, that is way too small. LOL

Congratulations on your part in Clue. I am sure you will make a good cop!

Sandra Walker said...

Yep as per our convos you know I did Seminole piecing back in the day and taught a class within my guild. I gave them the option of turning the piece into a decorative towel or a placemat but I like your idea of a book cover. I learned it from a book I got out of our guild library. Congrats on being ‘the cop’! I have a feeling you are going to be super-busy...

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene,
Your seminole piecing is great! When it's that small, all you notice is the pretty design, not how the 1/4" seam is! And you're right, quilting will hide a multitude of mistakes!
Congratulations, Cop! (As long as you don't turn into the quilt police! :-)
Quilting Gail

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love the movie Clue. Have fun!