Sunday, July 19, 2020

A Little Playtime with Bias Tape

Sometimes it is fun to just play with an idea.  The result doesn't have to be a finished piece. Playing allows you to add new life to your creative pool.  Recently I watched a class on Bias Tape appliqué.  In the class the teacher showed how she uses the method for improv work.  It looked like a lot of fun to me. So I decided to try it.

I chose a black background fabric - and Island Batik solid from my time as an Ambassador for them.  And I picked a pale batik with some color in it.  In hindsight,  I wish I had chosen a brighter piece for the bias tape appliqué.  The good news - I can always do this again.

I followed the directions that she gave very well.  But as she didn't finish this piece on camera, I didn't know everything.  But I learned from my mistakes and I made it work anyway. 

Here is the piece I made.

This method has a lot of possibilities.  As for this piece- I think it does too. I can go in and appliqué in the open spaces with symbols or maybe some fussy cut pieces.  Or, I could use bright colors and do embroidery in those open spaces.  I think I am only limited by my imagination.   This could even be a "medallion" for the center of a larger quilt.

Only time will tell what I decide. Right now  I am still thinking of possibilities.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I LOVE this! My favorite and first thing I noticed is how beautiful the pale pink is against the black.myes, bring in more color with something else, but don’t be sorry about using the pink. I’m sorry, can’t help it, but I see half of a face. Lol!

piecefulwendy said...

Do you follow the work of Joe Cunningham? He has done several improv quilts with bias tape. In one of his classes, he mentions that he had once commented that he was running short of bias tape, so several quilters sent him some. He said he has more than enough now - haha. Anyway, I like your piece, and I enjoy seeing what you are experimenting with.

Quilting Tangent said...

I know you will be playing more with this technique. ;)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Lots of possibilities! I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

Looks like fun, Gene! It'll be interesting to see what happens!

Jeanna said...

I like the lighter batik you chose. It will be interesting to see what you decide to do with this piece.