Friday, July 24, 2020

End of the Line!

While doing some binge watching on Amazon Prime,  the weaving on my loom moved right along.  I was surprised when I looked at the back beam and saw that the end of the warp was pulled above it.  That inspired me to continue on with the weaving until it was finished.

Then, I removed the woven threads from the loom and tied off the ends.  The fabric went into the wash for it's beauty bath. Now it is hanging in the strong hot sun to finish drying.  I always hang the finished cloth to dry the first time.  After that with cloth made with plant fibers, it can be machine washed and dried just fine. 

Here are some photos of the cloth hanging from my car cover.



The car cover is wide enough for two vehicles. As you can see the cloth runs almost the entire width of the cover.
The warp on this particular piece is one that I created and then dyed in a class.  We used a Japanese dye product that removes some color and adds color back in.   We used resist techniques to cover and protest some of the original warp so that it gets a variegated look in the warp.  I also switched out the weft thread occasionally to make it more interesting. 

I have no idea what this fabric will "grow up" to be.  But I love it.

The reason that I finished weaving this one is to that I can put a new warp on the loom to weave some new fabric specifically for a bathroom curtain.  I have a hand woven fabric hangin there now, but I want to  create a more open work piece to let in more light. 

Now I have to decide on colors for the warp.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

I love the gradual gradation of colors in this piece! Your home must be so beautiful decorated with your art. :)

Frog Quilter said...

Wow its so big. You could do a lot With this piece. You are so talented!

Debbie said...

Wow just beautiful! Love seeing your weavings!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely colors and interesting flow. I look forward to seeing something develop from it.

Sandra Walker said...

What a glorious piece Gene! I can almost feel it through my computer screen!

~Laurie~ said...

OH! It’s beautiful 😍

Jeanna said...

That is a gorgeous piece and a wonderful size, too. I enjoy reading about your processes, very interesting.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

BEAUTIFUL!! Whatever it "grows up to be" will be lovely - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

It's beautiful!!! It'll be interesting to see what it grows up to be!
And I look forward to seeing your new window covering - once you've made it!
Happy Weaving! :-)

Snoodles said...

That is amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create!
Quiltnsrepatyahoodotcom

Rebecca Grace said...

Your handwoven fabric is GORGEOUS, Gene! How wonderful, to create something truly from start to finish like that. I look forward to seeing what this piece "grows up to be!"

Kathleen said...

I love this! It will be fun to see what you do with it. It is so gorgeous.