Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Starting a New Me

This post is not about quilting or weaving or painting.  
About a month or so ago, I got an email from my health insurance.  There was a plan that is recommended by my insurer for reversing diabetes.  Some of you may know that I am a type II diabetic. (That means my body has become less able to use the insulin that I make to get the excess sugar from my bloodstream.) For years we have been told that "it only gets worse."   BUT, new research has found that a ketogenic diet that is medically supervised can not only result in weight loss, but it can also reverse diabetes. 

Sign ME up for that.

Since my insurance is paying for the full program, it was easy to say "Sure I want to do it."  I filled out a rather comprehensive medical history including all of the medications that I take. Then I waited. A few more emails and an interview call was set up to verify health info and decide if I might be a good candidate for the program. 
I had a lovely interview with a very nice lady who told me that it sounded promising but the medical team had to okay the lab work that I needed to send in or get done. I sent in lab work from my most recent doctor's visits.  But, if you don't have them they will arrange for you to get labs done.

In approximately two weeks,  I got an appointment with a Medical Doctor for a tele-health visit.  Again, the MD was friendly and positive.  Fast forward - I got the email that I was medically approved. 

Then on Saturday, February 6th I got  a box delivered by FedEx.   Let me show you how they have set me up for success.  I am so excited.  I opened the box to a big welcome and a sheet explaining the contents. 

Because I also suffer from hypertension (High blood pressure)  they also sent me a very nice monitor for that also.  (Another "side effect" from this program is that my BP meds will likely need to be lowered or  perhaps removed from my treatment!)   

But, wait, what is inside that blue box with Virta on the cover?  Let's look at the contents.

In there was everything I need to monitor my blood sugar and ketones, a kitchen scale to weigh my protein each day,  magnesium tablets in case I need to supplement my magnesium and some bullion cubes.  Then in the very back there is a recipe book for getting started.  Some of those items were in this cotton carry bag that has the program name and  logo.



On the plan, I have a health coach and an MD assigned to my care team. They provide both guidance and encouragement.  There is also an online community that shares recipes and support.   

Oh, but WAIT....under that box there was another box.  Inside it was this:

It is a body weight scale that I step on each morning to track progress. I don't have to even look at the weight - because  it automatically uploads it to my Virta dashboard using cellular technology.  I will confess that I tried to get my phone's bluetooth to sync to it. Then I realized that it doesn't use my phone for that.    

I do use an app on my phone to stay in touch with the program and get to resources I may need when I am out shopping for Virta Friendly foods.  Over the weekend I got a prompt to 

Here is what I bought (Some of the things were already in my pantry/fridge so I just added them to the pile.)  
There are a couple of items that I have never tried/used before.  The heavy cream is one that I have only used for making ice cream....but I have tried a splash in a cup of hot chai tea and it is very tasty and satisfying.  But looking at this, I wonder "Did I forget the Brussels Sprouts?" I hope they are in the crisper and I just forgot to pull them out for the photo. 

At any rate, I think I am set for success.  Wish me luck. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

11 comments:

Judy H said...

Wow! And I just got notice from my insurance about pre-diabetes. So they are paying for Weight Watchers for a year for me! I need to drop at least 30 pounds and then the pre-diabetes, pre-high blood pressure, foot issues are supposed to lessen, if not go away. I'm excited. I even signed up for a CSA box (Community Supported Agriculture) to get a box of fresh fruits and veggies every week. I will be thinking of your and your journey as I go through mine. By the way, for someone who doesn't 'do' cauliflower, riced cauliflower is actually not bad.

Debbie said...

Good for you...and I sure hope the plan works for you. The life style change takes time but is worth the end result I know.

Barbara said...

Our health Insurance company surprised us with a box of goodies too, not nearly as full as yours, but a sign nonetheless that they are interested more than ever in preventive medicine. It’s a good thing, and I wish you many rewards and long years ahead because of your dedication and motivation!

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is a lot of change all at once, but persevere. Sounds like they really thought of everything for you to succeed. I am sure you will feel better as you progress. Don't be overwhelmed which is easy with all this information at once.
You can do it.

Frog Quilter said...

Good luck with your new lifestyle. Diet is everything I hear.

Jeanna said...

This sounds like a wonderful program. I love that you have a medical team available to assist and oversee the process. What a positive and encouraging lifestyle change. Please keep us posted on your journey.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Good luck! Sounds like a terrific plan - reversing your diabetes would be wonderful! - ;))

Kathleen said...

Wow! That’s a great benefit and hopefully will help you reverse the curse!

Vicki W said...

No drugs? That's exactly what the medical community should be doing!

Barb said...

That is amazing Gene, they sure have you well prepared for success.....don't like brussel sprouts!! I am glad for you. Good Luck...nice that you have a coach too.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The cookbook is a great addition. You already know that those recipes are approved. Good luck!