Thursday, July 22, 2021

Growing or Grown?

Wednesday was "growing day" for my fun random scrappy mini quilt.   I had added two borders made of triangles. Some of them were snub nosed, some weren't.  The truth is that I didn't follow the directions and just did it my way.  Had I followed the directions in Gwen Marston's book,  they would all be snub nosed. Do I care? No!  This is liberated quilting and I am just having fun with it.   

I realized that I needed/wanted a solid or near-solid border before those two.  Rather than ripping the stitches,  I simply cut them off on the seam line.  (Liberated!!!)  Then I added the solid border. Of course now those two were too short lengthwise.  So I sewed on some pieces to make them bigger and attached them.   Two more of the snub nosed triangle strips were made and attached. BOOM!  It is bigger and more interesting.  

If any of you are really eagle-eyed, you will see that the interior section is changed slightly.  Here is what happened:  I found a seam that wasn't closed.  Resewing it would cause a "bubble" in the quilt top.  Hmmmm... This is an opportunity to add some fusible applique.  Thus three of the red strips now have "bumps" added.  Those will get quilted down securely when I quilt this.  

I can't decide if it is still growing or if it is grown?  I can add more borders as desired. I am thinking one more "sort of solid" border.  This would be strips going around again - but with some surprise pieces added in for a bit of a liberated surprise.   You know, I like that idea.....so maybe......

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE it!! I think it's still growing! You could add another narrow solid border and then another wonky/liberated one - you know you want to - LOL - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

You really pulled this one off! Even the applique. I am sure you can figure out how to make it larger. I am interested to see how you would transition to a larger quilt. Since you are so creative, I am sure you would come up with something.

Barbara said...

We are on the same wave length! Mine also has a medallion center (thanks to your suggestion), but I don’t have the luxury of stopping as I add borders around it. They challenge my thinking when I get to them as I want them to be somewhat interesting. The purpose is our king size bed so it seems endless! I love your bumpy red stripes. Don’t hide those bumps too much! Also, I like that your medallion with royal blue border is brighter than the surrounding elements. It stands out that way! I wish I could show mine in its totality when I’m done. I’ve been wondering how I will do that! I don’t have a clothesline. 😲

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looking great! It doesn't have to be a solid border- it can be some pieced scrappy darks to constrast with the row before.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute, and you are having fun. Win, win!

Frog Quilter said...

I love it and can see you are enjoying the process which is what it is all about! Kudos to you!

Quilting Gail said...

I hope it's growing ... love the blue sashing ... can't wait to see what comes next!!!