Friday, July 23, 2021

Liberated Quilt Top

The piece shown last was not quite grown up.  But now I do believe it is.  The idea for this top was sparked by this book that I bought used from another quilter who was de-stashing some books. When I saw this one, I wanted it. 
While I didn't follow the book ideas for the center medallion,  the idea of using the first piece as a medallion came from the book.  In the book, Marston shows various quilts - a few of them have medallion centers with interesting borders.   I liked that idea.  Therefore, I used it. 

Next up was the idea of borders. As you can see, the cover photo shows a liberated quilt top with a solid  border around the middle section -then a liberated piecing border  outside that.  Marston showed this idea several times.  So I added the blue border.  Then I added a border of snub-nosed triangles.   But to finish it out,  I decided on a "semi-solid border" with an interesting print fabric that looks hand-dyed. 
Of course I broke up that border with a few pieces of blue, one of green, and a real hand-dyed fabric. 
Here is the top as it is now. 

The hand-dyed fabric almost disappears into that border fabric, but it is there on three of the four edges. 

At this point,  I plan to back and quilt this small top and make a nice table topper. It is roughly 29" square.  That means it will be easy to use yardage to make the backing --- unless I decide to piece a backing.   



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Beautiful, Gene! You did a masterful job.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree! You did a masterful job - and the fabric for that last border is perfect! - ;))

Barbara said...

I love what you did with this, Gene! Liberated for sure! The darker border against the lighter border, still being all versions of blue, is perfect. My king quilt in progress needs a whole lot of borders to get it up to size. I wish I could say they are looking as coordinated as yours. The word “liberated” fits perfectly.. Put another way “anything goes” is what’s happening especially since I’m trying to use only stash fabrics.

Pamela Arbour said...

I didn't know how, but I knew you could do it! Fabulous. Congratulations!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It turned out cute!