Monday, April 18, 2022

A Simple Braid Table Runner- tutorial

Those batiks from my squishy envelope were calling to me.  At this point, I didn't want to start a quilt - but I wanted to sew something.  A table runner is easy and fun, so that is what I opted to do.  I chose three fat quarters: a dark, a light and a neutral.  I love using die cuts when they make the work easier.  I had made a braid table runner once before from a kit. So, I remembered the basic method of sewing it. 

Please read all the directions before you attempt to start.  Note that the outer long sides of this portion will be bias cuts. 

I chose to use the Accuquilt Go! Chisel die for this one.  Since I was using batiks, I didn't have to worry about "right hand and left hand" pieces because batiks are reversible. But if you are using a fabric with right and wrong sides, you will need to make half of your chisels right handed and the other half left handed.

I cut eight light and eight dark batik chisel shapes. Along with eight neutral 3 1/2" squares. (The chisel die that I have is 3 1/2" wide.)  Here are a couple of the darks with a square. 
You also need one 6 1/2" of either the neutral or fabric of your choice. 
That piece will be the center of your table runner. 

Take all of your left hand chisels (or right hand chisels, just be consistent or it won't work out) and sew one of the squares to the flat end.
Press the seam to the chisel side. Again consistency is important. 
This will allow seams to nest for nice sharp points. 

Now take the 6 1/2" square and one of the other chisels and sew the longer edge to the square
Press that seam toward the chisel. 
Now the matching chisel/square unit will be added.

If you did all your pressing toward the chisel shapes it will nest together for a nice sharp point. 
I like to use one pin at the intersection.
Then when sewn  you will have the beginning of the braid. 
That point is nice and sharp!

Repeat with the opposite color. Starting with the single chisel 
and then add the chisel/square combo.

Once you have this half sewn,  simply turn it around and start on the opposite side of the 
bigger (center) square. Repeat until all the pieces are used.
 And you will have the braid part of your runner completed. 

It is much simpler than you would think. 
Now it needs borders added.  
I think/hope you can do that already for yourself.  
I am stopping for now. But when I do finish it, I will show the resulting table runner. 

P.S.   I don't get up to press each seam.  Rather I finger press seams until the 
first half is completed, then I take it to the iron to press it neatly.  
Then I do the same for the other half. It saves a lot of time getting up to iron.
If you have a pressing station by your machine, then you can decide which 
you wish to do. (or you can go running to the machine with each seam, 
I am not "the boss of you." Ha ha)


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

5 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Looks great and I love the colours which you've chosen.

Barbara said...

I’ve made a number of satisfyingly quick table runners over the years. This was a good choice! Very pretty colors too. Can’t beat those beautiful batiks!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE those batiks - and your tutorial! Table runners are great for quick projects - ;))

Kathleen said...

I love this quick little runner. Nice idea to use the dies and make it all perfect! I have my tutorial linkup coming up from Thursday through the end of the month. It would be fun if you linked this up!

Angie said...

๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒž Very pretty table runner. Awesome fabrics! Thank you for the directions. Enjoy your day. ๐Ÿฆ‹✂️๐Ÿชก๐Ÿงต