Friday, April 01, 2022

Friday Face Off: Da' Fam'ly

My friend, Barbara, got me started making a family of clay faces.  She and Nicole at DVArtist have been doing a Friday Face Off challenge.  My faces are different from theirs.  But that is okay we each express our own artistic bent. 

So today, I have completed my "Family of Thugs" - Da'Fam'ly.   Today "Dad" is the new character. All of my faces are made of polymer clay rather than the paper clay that Barbara and Nicole are using. The main reason being that I already had polymer clay in my crafty stash of fun creative "stuff." 

So here is Dad.   And as an aside, Dad's hair is made of a wool blend that I bought to spin into yarn. 
Dad is a bit of a rough character. He has some scars and a wonky eye. 
The eye happened in an "accident" as Dad would tell it. 
That accident was a bar fight a few years ago. The "accident" part
is that Dad accidentally looked away and the other guy stabbed him in the
eye with a pool cue. Of course, Dad walked out of the bar (before the cops arrived)
and the other guy was carried out in a black bag.  
Dad did a year and half up the river for that escapade. 
Getting caught was the second part of the "accident."
Dad was sure to teach his sons about "deniability" and alibis.

Here is a family portrait, first in color


Then in Black and White




I am going to try a different type of face next. It may be a more artistic/fantasy type
Of course if that doesn't work, there may be another member in this family.  
Haha. 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I really like the faces and Da'Family. Love the back story for Dad.

Barbara said...

I have mentioned before that I wouldn’t want to meet some of my faces “in a dark alley”, but Gene, you have taken that thought to a whole new level with the look and the story! This is a whole family I wouldn’t want to meet anywhere! They are all more than a little rough around the edges in demeanor, and the mom especially is beyond garish. They are frightening especially in black and white, which is closer to a dark alley than color. 😮 Mine isn’t done yet, but I don’t want to get lazy before next Friday so I’ll do a photo and post it today in progress. Don’t want to get lazy! Great job, Gene!!

DVArtist said...

Hi Gene! This is Nicole and I wanted to let you know I love your family face. Very creative and wonderfully done. I have linked you to my post. Happy to have you included.
Have a nice day.

Christine said...

Fantastic work!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am a polymer clay person, too. I love your family. Dad DOES look a bit rough, but mom has the lips to soothe any soul. This is great and I am delighted to see you are also playing along on this journey wit Barbara and Nicole.

I am a No Reply blogger. I get comments through my blog, not e-mail. Just ask Barbara how much I HATE e-mail!!! I check it once every couple of months or so.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like your "Dad" - and the backstory that goes with him. You have created a very interesting family - ;))

My name is Erika. said...

Nice to meet you Gene. I came over from Nicole's blog and am loving your faces!

Debra said...

The story is hilarious-the faces are great!

Giorgio said...

I have just found your website through Nicole. I like your faces! Congrats on such creativity.

craftytrog said...

Hopped here from Nicole's blog Gene. I love your family of faces!