Thursday, March 31, 2022

Weaving -and Slivers

One of my many fiber arts/crafts is weaving.  I simply love the rhythm and calmness of the weaving process.  I admit that when starting it can be "tension creating" to learn to warp the loom.  But once you know how and get comfortable with it, even that part can be calming.

I decided to make a warp with five threads in four colors.  There are two greens, a light green and a darker neutral green, a blue/turquoise, a red, and a purple.  The purple is between dark blue and purple.  When I originally chose it, I thought it was a dark blue.   Luckily it works beautifully in this. 

Here are some pictures of cloth on the loom. 


And here is one that is "sideways"
In the first photo and in the sideways photo you may see that there are slivers 
of fabric embedded in the weaving.  For the record, those are added during the 
weaving process and will stay in there nicely even when the cloth is washed. 

The slivers are often trimmings from making quilt blocks. Or if there is a scrap that 
probably won't be used in scrap quilting, it is made into slivers and added to the bag.
Here is the bag I am using with this project. 


As you can see, some of the pieces are cut neatly while some are torn and frayed.
Both work and add different effects to the finished woven fabric.

I am not sure what this fabric will become, but I like it a lot.
Hopefully, I can get in the mood to sew a vest for myself from 
the previous fabric that I posted.  And perhaps that is what I will make
with this fabric also.

Tomorrow, I plan to show my latest clay face from my "gnarly gallery."
I have added the "Dad" face  so perhaps I can make a family portrait/rogues gallery. 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

I enjoy seeing your weaving posts, Gene. And I love the way you find a way to use up scraps, whether in a scrappy quilt or in your weaving.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Jeanna - I enjoy seeing your weaving posts, too! Your scraps never go to waste - whether they show up in your improve quilting or weaving - they are used beautifully - ;))

Barbara said...

Beautiful cloth, Gene, and the additions add an element of creative originality. It hasn’t been decided what it will become but the process of “becoming” is ongoing! 😊

Vicki W said...

That is a beautiful fabric. It would make a lovely purse.....or anything actually!