Friday, March 04, 2022

Another "Dark Alley" Sculpture

This may be a mild addiction.  But, I am enjoying the creativity and possibilities of sculpting "ugly faces." 

Therefore, I present to you, Bruno Roccia, the second in my series of "Faces you don't want to meet in a dark alley." 

Bruno is a big guy who works for someone else. He is usually works as
a bodyguard and does whatever "Da' Boss" tells him to do. 
Bruno is not a thinker, that isn't his strong area. Rather, Bruno is the muscle. 
He is very good at making people remember to do what they need 
to do to make his boss happy.  

Barbara asked about the tools I use with the polymer clay.  To be honest, 
my fingers are my primary tool. Still I do need a few things to help in places 
where my fingers don't seem to fit.  One of them is simply a wooden skewer, 
like you would use to make shish-kebabs.   But I do use a couple of tools from 
my painting supplies. One of those is a palette knife that I have had for years.
The other is a "color shaper" that I bought to move paint  around in abstract
or non-representational paintings. 

Both of them have been well used.  The flat blade of the palette knife is useful
for cutting pieces of clay. But it is also useful for mark making in the clay. On 
the previous face, it made pock marks in the face and wrinkles. 
The shaper is good for (surprise) shaping the clay. When a place needs 
smoothed, the cupped inside surface is good for adding a softly rounded area.

At the sewing machine, I have nothing to show. That doesn't mean I haven't sewn
anything. Rather, I have done some mending.  I have also replaced the elastic 
in the waistband of a pair of pajama pants that I enjoy wearing when I relax. 
I wonder if you feel "creative" when you repair something.  I know, that
I felt quite creative when I fixed the elastic band.  While it isn't 
original work, it is "re-creating" and giving new life.  


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I am loving your “mild addictions” and stories to accompany them! I also like sculpting “ugly” faces the most. I enjoy your stories, they make your faces come to life for me. Wasn’t there a “Bruno” in The Godfather movie? I also use my fingers more than tools to mold my faces. My paint brushes come in handy too along with the same tools you are using because paper clay molds with a drop of water. Keep those faces coming, they are fabulous!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Barbara - keep the faces coming - and the stories that go with them - ;))

Rhonda said...

Gene.....I am laughing so hard it's not easy to draw a breath. Your description of Bruno is so well written that I can actually picture him in my mind. Well done!!