Thursday, March 24, 2022

Table Scraps - Placemats

The Joyful Quilter has a "table scraps challenge" where quilters use up the scraps they have often left on the cutting table after a project.  I always have a pile of table scraps.  I decided that I wanted some quilted placemats to use on my table. So this was perfect for the challenge. 

I chose bigger pieces of scraps that allowed me to make "matching" placemats. Seriously, they are almost identical. 

The biggest difference is the quilting AND the pieces of multicolor printed fabric.

The center was a solid blue fabric -and once finished I thought it was 
just a bit bland/boring.  Of course I have a lot of "tricks/tools" in my
toolbelt, so grabbing some fabric paint and a bottle cap, 
I printed circles all over that area. That part doesn't match exactly either. 
But it is very close. 


The themes for March Table Scraps are 
flowers and yellow. Neither is required but
it does give a starting point. 
The above two have yellow as a strong presence, but there are no flowers. 

Earlier in the month I posted these two, made for a friend.

There are yellow fabrics AND some flowers in each of them.

Oh yes, and that fabric I used for the backing of all of these is one
that I have had for a while.  
That fabric just makes me smile -and hits the "yellow" part of the theme too.

Mom and I are working on yet another puzzle.
This one has letters on the back dividing it into four sections, 
A, B, C, and D. 
I marked all four corners of the board to help us stay on track. 
The first thing we did was sort the pieces by letter. 
We have finished parts A (top right)
and D (bottom left.)  We are moving along on C also. 

It seems to me that the letters make it a bit too easy.  But I think for Mom, 
it is just the right amount of help. I was amazed at her progress on section C. 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Totally beautiful! They will brighten up every mealtime.

Jeanna said...

I love both sets of table runners, Gene. I need to make some for the camper. Letters on the back of puzzle pieces is a great idea to add a little help when it may be needed.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your placemats - they show off your improv skills and quilting nicely! Letters on the back do make it easier - and you can choose not to use them at all - for more of a challenge - but four smaller puzzles are like bite-size versions - and easier to swallow - LOL - ;))

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for linking up with the March 2022 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, Gene! I noticed the hand stamping before reading through your post. Your placemats are SEW delightful! They will be a happy addition to any table.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your scrappy placemats! Printing on the center section was a fun idea - I've never tried that. That's a great puzzle, too - parts of it look quite tricky!

Kit said...

we do puzzles with mom too !!! the divided puzzle would be great fun. haven't seen one of those before. (love the colorful placemats. so cheerful!)

Kathy S. said...

Very nice, Gene. I really like the quilting.

Karen's Korner said...

Those cheerful placemats will brighten up any table setting. Love the idea of letters on the back of the puzzle pieces.

grammajudyb said...

What a great idea to add paint to a solid fabric! I would not have thought of that ! We’ve been doing puzzles this winter too! Or should I say Mr. Busy has been doing puzzles! We have not seen the numbered ones! We will search for one! Thanks for sharing that info and your lovely placemats.

Quilting Gail said...

Love your placemats! I would probably be weird and use the back side up. I'd hate for spaghetti sauce to drip onto the front! :-)

Vicki W said...

You already know that I love some pretty and scrappy placemats!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Gene, love all of your placemats. The first ones really pop with the a little bit of yellow! Take care.

Angie in SoCal said...

So colorful! Love them. And that back fabric is so cool, too.

Deb A said...

Love your placemats! The idea of helpers on the back of the puzzle pieces are a great idea.

ButterZ said...

Your table mats are wonderful. What a great way to share time with your mum. I love puzzles. Brings back memories of my time with a neighbour years ago.