Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Sculpted Face

My friend, Barbara, at Artistic Living has been sculpting faces from paper clay.  I don't have paper clay in the absurd amount of crafty supplies that live with me.  But I do have some polymer clay. I have a nice sized container of white Sculpey clay.  So I took some of it and tried my hand at sculpting a face.  Following Barbara's thought of "face I don’t want to meet in a dark alley. "   This face appeared after some time playing and coaxing the clay.  
He looks as if he has been in several fights in his lifetime.  But if you ask, he may reply " You should have seen the other guys!"   Most of the "scars" were added intentionally.  However the scar across his chin is a bad join in the clay.  I just accented it with paint and made it a "feature" Haha.  His nose is a bit crooked and has an odd shape. It was broken in a bar fight years ago and he did not have it fixed.  

In the construction, I was going to put a ball of aluminum foil as the base. Then I saw some smooth rocks that I had attempted to paint on (I hated the results.) So I grabbed one and use it as the base for this fellow. Here is another one that I may use for the next face.

You can see some paint around the edges. That doesn't matter at all once it is covered with they clay. 
Of course there are some more of these rocks in a bag ---somewhere - but I am not going to search for them.  That might result in finding more squirrels. 

Mom, my brother, and I worked on the puzzle for a while and got to this point, but I never shared the photo. 
As you can see, all that was left to do were parts of the birch trees. 
Those were the hardest parts. 
But we finally conquered it. 

My brother showed up with a new puzzle even before we finished this one.  
I think this is it but I am not sure.
We will have fun with it next. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow, you did it, Gene! To get a rough looking face with Sculpey was not going to happen for me. I’m so glad you succeeded! Playing with clay is therapeutic, keep at it when sewing gets to be too much at one time. A nice thing about polymer is that it won’t harden as you take time away from it. I love that your guy comes with a bit of a story like bar fighting and a broken nose! All he lacks is a tough name. How about Butch? I’m glad to see exactly how you used the rock underneath. My faces are thick with clay, but I wouldn’t need and waste so much of it if I built the face on a rock. Something with which to experiment! The eyes are very effective and I really like his chin scar no matter how it happened!

PS…I love that dog puzzle, great job on the birds!

Barbara said...

Just 2 questions…how large is your clay tough guy, and did you use any tools to get the details like scars?

Jeanna said...

Your guy looks touch, indeed. I love how you added his story to the creation...so much fun. Congrats on getting the puzzle completed...I can see where the trees would have been a challenge for us.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your rock guy!! I think it was a great idea to use a rock as your base - and that you should name him "Rocky" - haha - see what I did there? - Your birch trees look like they were quite a challenge - but you guys did it - Congratulations! The dogs should be fun - ;))