Thursday, March 10, 2022

A Block and Design Playtime

I have several pieces left over from a layer cake (10 inch squares.)  So I decided to see what I could do with them.  I cut two squares in half.   One 5x10 (blue) was cut into 5" squares.  The other was cut into two 2.5x10 strips.  I took one yellow 5" square and cut it into two 2.5x5 strips.  
The short strips are sewn to either side of the blue square.  Then the long strips are added to complete the frame. Giving this block. 

You could stop here and make more blocks to make a framed block quilt. 
You should have a 5" yellow square leftover and enough blue to make the reverse image.
This is 8" unfinished

OR
The block can be cut into four units by bisecting it in each direction
like this:


Then you can rearrange the pieces. 


This first option is far less interesting once you start laying it out

The option below is far more fun for layouts.

This block is about 7.5" unfinished. 

If you only used two colors, you could make the quilt below. 
Or using one color for the strips and two alternate colors
 for the center,  you can get the one below. 
Of course I think scrappy would be amazing, just use a 
charm pack and a background fabric for the strips. 


Here is an alternate layout. 
I could have come up with more ideas for this, but 
you can make some blocks and play to make your own creations.
If you do this do share some photos with me. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.


4 comments:

Barbara said...

No matter how you lay it out, it looks good to me!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Sooo many possibilities!! - Your design playtime came up with some VERY nice results - ;))

Barb said...

I love the way your brain works....and those different variations are just wonderful

Jeanna said...

Cutting the first block definitely makes more interesting possibilities.