Friday, May 20, 2022

Friday Face Off - "Two Sisters"

Welcome to the Friday Face Off hosted by Nicole at DVArtist.  I am happy to present my latest creation. 
The Two Sisters were originally planned to be two single portraits.  But, 
as soon as I had both of the faces created and put side by side, it was 
obvious that they belonged together.  These are a pair of sisters that stick together. 
(slight pun intended - fusible applique/stick together) 
Both of them were laid on individual backgrounds and photos were taken. 
Then I took a photo of both of them on one background.
To be honest, I asked a couple of close friends, but ultimately the decision
was mine and I chose "together" because artistically they just look better 
Together. 

I started by cutting two faces and two necks.  These were two solid colors of fabric 
stacked together. Then a curvy line was cut  down the middle with the small rotary cutter
on the stacked faces.  The necks were done the same way but with a somewhat straighter
line to divide them.  The pieces were swapped and lightly fused together.
Normally, the eyes would be my next step, but I had a piece of fabric that begged 
to be cut into lips. Each lip was cut separately so that they weren't too much alike.
Then I added the eyes and the noses. 
At the point they looked like this:

I think the hair was one of the most fun parts. 
I used a batik for the "That Girl" flip on the left face. Once it was in place,
it clearly needed more color.  Some Derwent Inktense blocks were used to add 
depth and color to the hair on this one. 
The Blue/Green/Aqua hair was a piece of hand dyed fabric that I cut with
a die cutter for some of the pieces.  The other pieces were cut with a pair of 
scissors from Famoré  that are very easy to use for shaping applique pieces. 
I put all the pieces in place and took a photo for reference.  Then I took up 
those pieces and started adding them back one at a time and fusing them in place. 

The clothes were the last addition prior to quilting this.
The necklace on the left is simply tiny quilting lines.
The necklace on the right was painted with irridescent paint, then 
using an ultra-fine Sharpie marker, I outlined each bead for definition. 

I hope my process didn't bore you too much. 

I haven't started the next face yet, but I have a few ideas -(grin.) 

And here is a sneak peek at what is happening with 
those blocks I showed you. 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Christine said...

Lovely and creative Gene!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You're REALLY good at this! I LOVE the hair on these two - ;))

DVArtist said...

Well Gene you have out done yourself. These sisters are simply amazing. There is such detail in every stitch. You truly are a master at this. Have a nice day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love this, what fun art you have created! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, these sisters are fabulous gene. You have such a playful funky style. One day I want to sit down and give quilting more deserved time. Happy weekend!

Barbara said...

Awesome sisters!

Serena Lewis said...

Oh yes, they were definitely meant to be together. Wonderful work, Gene, and I love the 'That Girl' flip! I enjoyed reading your process.

Have a great weekend,
Serena :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great Sisters!