Friday, May 27, 2022

Friday Face Off

It is time once again for the Friday Face Off.  Today, I have two faces to share with you.  One is older and has shown on my blog in times past.  But I love it and wanted to use it for the Face Off also. 

First up is the NEW Face.  This face was made using colored polymer clay so that only minimal painting was necessary to finish it.  I used the idea of a tribal mask as my starting point. Somehow it evolved to have "hair" that looks like the top  of a pineapple - inspired by the green clay that I found in my stash of fun supplies.  Here he is:
I think he is a lot of fun even if it is a bit silly. 

Next up is Morticia, a painted face that evolved as I was resolving an
"Ugly painting" start.  The great thing about painting in Acrylic is that you can 
paint over it until you are happy with it.  Of course, that can also be a downfall.
Morticia is not a lovely lady, but she is proud and unbending. 


As I  said earlier, Morticia started as an "ugly" painting. This was an exercise in an 
online paint along that  I was participating in. 
Below is the original Ugly Painting. Interestingly, it started in landscape orientation. 
But as I was looking at adding it to this post, I realized that by rotating it, 
There was  a face created by the white lines. 

I think this was the first time I realized there was  a face there. 
Would you have ever guessed that Morticia evolved from this piece?

Be sure to visit Nicole's blog:  DVArtist to see the other Face Off participants. 

And if you want to see more about "Morticia"  you can check this post:
"The Progressions of a Painting" 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

These are fabulous, Gene! I love “Morticia” especially. Hard to believe from whence she came, but I use acrylics too so I can see how it happened. I also saw a pineapple, albeit a very confused one! Wonderful faces!

Christine said...

Love them

Christine said...

Love them

DVArtist said...

Well Gene, I love your art. This is so inventive and bright!!! The others faces are the kind of art I really like. Thank you so much for joining Friday Face Off, (FFO)

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous painting, Morticia is fantastic! Valerie

Serena Lewis said...

OH, what a fun face! Made me smile. Nice choice of colours too.

Morticia definitely comes across as proud and unbending. And no, I would never have guessed that Morticia evolved from your busy abstract. Quite a transformation!

I used to love working with acrylics and still do on occasion.

Have a lovely weekend,
Serena :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I remember Morticia - she's wonderful! And I like your silly NEW guy - especially his hair - ;))

Rain said...

Hi Gene! ☺ I LOVE your Morticia! She is gorgeous, very creative! I also love that clay face, the pineapple green hair is awesome! ☺

My name is Erika. said...

Such fun faces today Gene. My favorite is the very abstract one at the end, but they are all amazing. Happy long weekend. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Morticia is unique. I would never have guessed she came from that original painting. I really like your clay mask. Poly clay is my product of choice, too. Nicely done.

I apologize for being so late visiting, Gene. My computer died after being hit by a lightening strike. I am finally back online.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your colorful pineapple top guy! He looks like a lot of fun. Of course Morticia is a favorite character to me and you've done a good job on her, too. Her "aura" is there!