Friday, July 15, 2022

Friday Face Off 7/15/22 Muriel

Welcome to another edition of the Friday Face Off.
Today I am sharing a quilted face that I have named Muriel. 
The quilted faces are later mounted on a stretched artist canvas for display.
All of my faces are available for purchase.
Please contact me for purchase at geneblack @ gmail dot com

Now here is Muriel in all her glory. 

Muriel was created with mostly hand dyed fabric however I did use 
small pieces of one batik fabric in her hair. I also used batik 
for the whites of her eyes. 

Muriel is a woman of mystery. We only know that she lived in 
the 1920s and sometimes attended jazz clubs.
As this was during prohibition, Muriel was once arrested 
during a raid of the El Fey club in New York City. Her
favorite drink was rum.  On some evenings, when the moon
was right and the rum was smooth, Muriel would take the 
stage and croon a jazz tune in her rich alto voice. One of her 
crowd favorites was the A Good Man is Hard Find, written 
by Eddie Green. 

The Friday Face Off is hosted by DVArtist.  Clicking that link will take you to 
her blog.  It is a great opportunity to see how various people interpret the challenge.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

12 comments:

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You were right - the quilting did add a lot to that face. I like your short bio of Muriel. Very interesting!

DVArtist said...

Gene, I am chuckling to myself about Muriel. Jazz singer and a bit on the naughty side. I love her! The quilting is perfect. I am thrilled you join in with FFO. Thank you.

Barbara said...

Gene, I had the thought that echo quilting would be great for Muriel! It is perfect. Was Muriel a baseball fan also? I can’t unsee the round white object in her hair. Lol. I look forward to your quilted faces, so unique!

Christine said...

Hello Muriel you are looking good! Nice work Gene.

sirkkis said...

I love Muriel ♥️and her life in the roaring 1920's. Sorry that she was arrested LOL😂

My name is Erika. said...

Muriel is quite lovely Gene. I think she must have lead an interesting life, going to speak-easiest (is that how you spell it) and dancing in her flapper dresses. I am glad you commemorated her with your lovely quilt. hugs-Erika

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE Muriel - and her story! It's amazing how much the quilting adds to your faces - and I like how you mount them on canvas - very clever - ;))

Rain said...

Clap clap clap!!!! Gene! I LOVE how you described Muriel!!! When I first saw her, I saw her as a synchronized swimmer from the 40's with those fabulous bathing caps!

NatureFootstep said...

I like your Muriel. Love her face and the gorgeous colors :)

Carola Bartz said...

Wow - the quilted face is fantastic. That must have been quite some work, I am very impressed. Muriel is a good name for her and it was lovely to get to know a little bit about her. Wonderful piece of art.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Muriel sounds like a very interesting lady. Wonderful colours, and I specially like how you quilted the piece. So wonderful!

-Soma

Barb said...

Love the bio and her. It is fun to see all of the faces you create.