Friday, July 22, 2022

Friday Face Off 7/21/2022

Once more the week has flown by and it is time for another Friday Face Off. 
This week I have not created a new face, but I am happy to share a 
face that is very familiar to me, because it is the one
that I see in the mirror.  Years ago, a friend took a photo of me that
I happened to like. Later, I used that image to carve a rubber stamp.
That rubber stamp was the jumping off point for this machine embroidery.

For years I played around with embroidery digitizing. 
That is making the digital file that an embroidery machine 
uses to create a machine embroidery.  I finally invested in 
some good software and used the stamped image to attempt 
A self portrait in thread.  
I think it has some resemblance to me. 

Here is the original photo:


And here is an image created by the stamp that I carved. 


So these are my offerings for this Friday Face Off.  

FYI- my embroidery machine is currently out of commission, so
I can not create any embroidery files as I can not do the vital
"test sew" that lets me know if I have succeeded in creating 
a well digitized file. 

The Friday Face Off is hosted by DVArtist.  Clicking that link will take you to 
her blog.  It is a great opportunity to see how various people interpret the challenge.
Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

12 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Very cool.

Barbara said...

Amazing process and indeed, “very cool”!

My name is Erika. said...

You did an excellent job carving that rubber stamp, and I really like how you digitized the image to do a machine embroidery face. I have an embroidery machine that I picked up at a reputable dealer for a very very good price. It was used. I use the programmed stitching all the time, but haven't had very much luck with the embroidery and digitizing. It is fascinating what you can do with it. Thanks for sharing. hugs-Erika

sirkkis said...

Nice to see digital alterations.
Well done, Gene 👍

DVArtist said...

Ohh Gene you handsome devil you. Now sure where that saying originated. LOL This is brilliant! Carving a stamp of your own image. Your talents simply amazing me. Thank you for joining Friday Face Off. I look forward to your face art each week.

Rain said...

You're so creative Gene!!! I love the stamped YOU!!! ☺☺

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

i like your face - and you did an amazing job carving that stamp and digitizing your embroidery design - ;))

Christine said...

Nice work!

NatureFootstep said...

wow, what a great idea. Something I would never have come up with.
And of course, it looks like you from that photo. Nice job!
love it!

NatureFootstep said...

forgot to say, you were right about the siluett in my painting. :)

Carola Bartz said...

In my utter ignorance I didn't even know that there is something like an embroidery machine. Sewing machines, yes, but embroidery? Both your carved stamp and the embroidered design look very cool - I am amazed by your creativity.Sewing and embroidery are both things I have zero talent for, and I am already challenged when I have to sew together the parts of a sweater that I knitted.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

The likeness if perfect and I love the effect of the embroidery. Too bad the machine is not working ... seems to me it would be worth getting it fixed :) I love you process and your results ...

Andrea @ From the Sol