Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Prep Work

Perhaps you remember that when I make the Quilted Faces, that there was a mention that I mount them on artist stretched canvas for hanging.   Today was "prep work" day for the canvases.  Normally I just do one as I need it.  But I was out of 12" by 12" canvases, so I made a local purchase to refill my stash. I also have a few 5" by 7" pieces, not necessarily faces, but tiny quilts.  So, I grabbed a two pack of those also.  

Today, my 6 foot table was set up outside.  All my supplies were gathered, black gesso, canvases, trash bags to protect the table, "lunch room lady gloves" to protect my hands, a brush, a bucket of water to wash out the brush AND a paper plate to use as a palette for the gesso.  I put my phone in a plastic bag, to protect it from the paint also.  It needs to be close in case Mom needs me. If she calls, I get there as fast as safely possible. 

For these, the center of the canvas is covered by the fabric art.  So I don't waste gesso on that area.  I simply paint the edges and a border on the front for the small part that the quilt doesn't cover.
Here they are after the first coat. 
The red "water bucket" is a recycled plastic coffee canister. 
(waste not, want not!) 

But the trash bags were a bit short and I had 
an OOPS. 


See that paint that got on the table?
Luckily this is my portable work table.
It won't be quite so pretty, but it is not a disaster. 

A few days ago, Vicki Welsh, fabric dyer extraordinaire, 
featured my work in a blog post "Customer Gems"

She also added a section to the Customer Gallery with my work. 
I hope you go there and find it, but here is a bit of a screen capture.

If you order fabric from Vicki and make anything, you can share it to the
Customer Gallery for a 20% discount on a purchase. The discount is good
for three months which I think is outstanding. 
Plus, I love working with Vicki's hand dyed fabrics. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing your "process" - I have often wondered how you do that part. And Congratulations on getting featured on Vicki's blog - she has such wonderful fabrics available - ;))

Vicki W said...

Your faces look great mounted the way you do and thank you for the kind words!

DVArtist said...

Wow! Gene, this is a very interesting technique. I would love to just watch you create. Have a very nice day.

Jeanna said...

You are very efficient with all your crafts and this prep process is no exception. So nice to see your art featured over at Vicki's.