Friday, September 15, 2023

Friday 9-15-23

This week has flown by for me.   The first of the month, I got a gym membership and have been going at least 5 times a week.  I am already seeing improvements in my attitudes as well as in my body.  However, it does take up time each day.  So I have been a bit less productive. 

Mom, my brother and I did put together a puzzle in the past week. When I bought it, I thought "That looks pretty easy."  Ha! Looks can be deceptive. 
The blue blanket and the basket were the hardest parts.
But I just love the face on that yellow kitty. 
Since the cats have faces, I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off

Meanwhile, I decided to take a commission for a small wall quilt.  I normally don't do commission work as  I find that it tends to block my creative process. However, for this one I was told that there was only one suggestion - and I was certainly able to use the suggestion. So I took on the task. 
First up, I did a fabric pull for the background and the applique pieces. 

As lovely as those background fabrics are, I worked for most of a day trying to coax them into what I envisioned.  Finally I said "No, this just isn't going to work."  Hopefully, I can recycle parts of that piece into pieces for a book cover. 

Then I went into my batik stash box and pulled out an array of colors in batik. With those I created a totally different background.  This one is making me very happy.  I can't show you the entire thing because I don't know if the recipient reads my blog - and I don't want to spoil the surprise.  But here are two "hint" photos. 


I have more work to do to finish this piece but I am sure it will be loved by the recipient. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...I would never have the patience to do that puzzle! Stay creative, Gene.

My name is Erika. said...

That is a great puzzle, but I know what you mean about looks can be deceiving. Hurrah for finishing it. And I'm loving those batiks. Have a happy weekend.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope you'll be able to show us the finished commissioned piece -- looks like it will be a riot of rainbow colours!

DVArtist said...

You know that Mr. M. and I do a lot of puzzles and I can see that this would have it's difficult areas. LOL It looks good though and perfect for FFO. I know this quilt will be beautiful and the person will love it. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a great weekend.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love the fabrics you choose at the bottom.

Valerie-Jael said...

Gene, it's gorgeous, love the fabulous colours! Hugs, Valerie

Jeanna said...

The yellow kitty does have a sweet face. Good for you...joining the gym and going. I really need to get back to it. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

sirkkis said...

What a cute puzzle you together built up👍 The colors of batiks are beautiful.Happy FFO 😼

Iris Flavia said...

Haaaa... so with you. I do my training at home now, much better for me. Just use your body-weight and a good program.
Cute cat-puzzle.
Hm. Yellow star on blue background. I just read Anne Frank´s diary. And Ukraine is in my heart as well...

Christine said...

Good for you at the gym! Nice work on that puzzle and the quilt looks amazing.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Going to the gym is productive if you're already seeing improvement - it's just not "quilty" productive. The cats are adorable - I love the face on the yellow one - and he sleeping one looks quite comfy. It took me a second to see the black/white one peeking over the blanket in the back. And I can see where the blue blanket and the basket would be hard to do. Your batik project has some beautiful fabrics - I can't wait to see what you are making - ;))

roentare said...

That cat in the puzzle looks so elegant and dreamy.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I adore the cats and the face of that one is precious. I can see how it would be hard.

LOVED the fabrics you first pulled. Did you dye them yourself? Of course, I can see the batiks are probably what you were going for in your mind. I look forward to seeing the completed piece.



Elaine/Muddling Through said...

The completed puzzle is really pretty, and I Love all the cat faces! Your fabric pulls are intriguing, too. Can't wait to see what you do with them.