Monday, September 18, 2023

My Sister

A long time ago,  forty years to be exact,  my dear sister left this earthly plane
 due to a medical accident. 

A few years later, for an English Composition class, I wrote a short essay about my loss. On this anniversary of her birthday, I am sharing it with you. 



A Final Goodbye

        I stood  in the cemetery  looking down at the headstone. 
 The marker stated a name and two dates.  The first date is not within 
my memory.  The second date burns and pulls at the corners of my mind.  
 This date, May twenty-ninth, 1983, is a day that I cannot forget.  
You see, this plot of ground is my sister's resting place, and today I
 visited here , alone, for the first time.  As I visited this grave site,
I came to feel sadness, to accept loss, and to appreciate the release of 
emotions.  
 
        The cemetery was empty when I arrived. 
 There was a solitary car standing guard near the office building. 
The wind was blowing slightly, as the storm sirens began to sound.  My mind 
transformed the sirens into a funeral dirge that would not stop.  I longed 
to sing that same sad tune if only to give voice to my sadness.
 
        My sadness was the result of a great loss.  When my sister died 
I experienced the loss of three people.  The first loss was obviously
 the loss of a beloved sister.  Yet she was far more than the word sister 
can describe.  In our younger years she had been my defender, and now I 
felt undeniably defenseless.  Most of all, I had lost a friend.  While I 
stood there, a sense of acceptance washed over me. Finally, I could accept
the loss and still keep the warm sweet memories of her impish smile and 
loving manner.  
        
        Emotion had overwhelmed me, causing tears to run down my face. 
 Feelings of grief, sorrow and loss were jumbled up carelessly among the
 feelings of love and devotion.  Having been able to release these emotions,
 I resolved to never put my feelings in chains again.  Now I will cherish 
the release of emotions.  
 
        Still standing by the headstone, I looked down, one last time,
 before leaving.  I saw the roses carved into the brass plate that stated 
only a name and two dates.  I knew that she would not wish for me to be 
sad or lonely, but I knew also that she would embrace the release of 
emotions.  Goodbye my sweet sister.
 
=================
Yes, I still miss her wit, her smile, her joy in life, and her love. 



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

13 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

This is so sad Gene. You were a strong kid to be able to write about. My sympathies-still- go to you.

Kathleen said...

I am sorry for your loss, which always remains no matter the years. Blessings on you and your family.

Valerie-Jael said...

A wondeful tribute to your sister, and to you! May her memory be a blessing to you! Hugs, Valerie

Jeanna said...

You have my sympathies, Gene. Your essay is beautifully written. I could hear your voice as I was reading the words. May the memory of your sweet sister give you comfort.

Vicki W said...

What a lovely tribute!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Grief is a very hard thing. I think you showed us vulnerability but also what it means to be human. I am sure she was a tremendous person. Sometimes, grief just traps you and puts you on your knees, stealing your breath. It can't be buried or ignored or it makes your heart shrivel and die. Gary Roe is someone I read and share with people as he has helped me so much. Your words have helped people today.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Beautiful tribute - ;))

Danice G said...

I am so sorry Gene. I feel the same way about losing my twin sister (and only sibling) a few years ago. It is definitely difficult. Always mindful of your feelings.

roentare said...

It is very touching.

Carolyn said...

So sorry for your loss. I lost my brother in 1996. We were very close….only 11 months age difference.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have a brother, I wish he and I were close. Sorry for your loss. It never goes away.

DVArtist said...

Your sister IS so beautiful. As IS mine. Of course I am sitting here with tears. Missing our sisters will never go away. Hugs to you my friend.

Jennifer said...

Hugs to my friend:)