Friday, September 08, 2023

Horses from the Past - Plans for "next up"


A couple of years ago, I did a lot with machine embroidery work using horses. I made several quilted notebook covers.  Most of those were sold.  The first one below I am sure was sold quickly.  The embroidery design is one that I purchased and used on that lovely hand dyed fabric. 


The next one uses a horse design that I digitized for the embroidery machine. I think I did a darn good job on the digitizing on this one. Again, I used hand dyed fabric for the front cover and for the two strips on the back of the notebook.   I think this one sold also.  Of course, I can always make a similar one if someone would like to purchase one. 


Since the horses have faces, I am linking up with DVArtist/Nicole for the Friday Face Off

Meanwhile,  I have chosen a new project to complete. The top shown here was completed in January of 2020. (It is NOT the oldest un-quilted top in my pile.)  I didn't follow the kit directions for the pattern exactly. I decided to make the version shown that I call "Kissin' Cousins" 

 I have the back pieced together and the batting cut.  Next up it will be time to baste the layers together so that I can quilt it.  As there are so many seams in a bargello design, I have decided to quilt this with organic lines from top to bottom just to make it easy on myself. Some of the lines may end up being wavy if I get bored with doing the organic "straight" lines. And of course, I may add some small motifs randomly on the lines.  Ha ha.  I have a "changeable" plan at best.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


 Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

11 comments:

sirkkis said...

Hi Gene,
your digitizing looks really great, and I love both.

Happy weekend xx

roentare said...

the horse on the 2nd quilt has a style!

Valerie-Jael said...

I LOVE the second one, Gene, it's fabulous! I find the colourful design hard to look at, but it will make a wonderful quilt! It makes me think of Joseph's coat of mans colours! Hugs, Valerie

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Any horse lover would adore those quilted book covers! So special!

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, they are all beautiful - the last one is stunning!

Tom said...

..."Kissin' Cousins" make you dizzier than I normally am! Have a great weekend.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your notebook covers with machine embroidered horses are beautiful! I have one with a turquoise horse on a burgundy background and it's one of my favorites!

Your "Kissin' Cousins" will look terrific with organic "straight" lines from top to bottom - but I'm looking forward to seeing the random small motifs - ;))

My name is Erika. said...

You have so much fun quilting today Gene. Those horse pieces are gorgeous. I can see why they sold. I hope you share the kissing cousin piece once you get it finished. Happy weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really like both these horse book covers, but the second one is my favorite.

That quilt reminds me of the old dot matrix printers that gave lovely pixelated images. I LOVE that quilt top, Gene.

DVArtist said...

OMG Gene, these are stunning. You know horses have a place in my heart. I'm in a rush with yard sale. Thank you for joining FFO. Have a great day.

NatureFootstep said...

lol, can I have the horse pieces?? A horse quilt?