Friday, February 19, 2010

Do I like kids? well.......

Do I like kids? well.......the fact is that I do.   Some of them annoy the bejeebers out of me, but I do like kids.
Heck, I even used to be one....and sometimes I still act like one. (probably too much-LOL)

So when I read on Quilt Hollow's blog about the Downy Quilts for Kids Program.  I was curious. I went to the site  http://www.quiltsforkids.org/   read a while and cried a while.  Then I signed up. I got my package of supplies today.  The package has the fabric to make the quilt - even the backing, a pattern (((YIKES I have to follow the pattern! ...and you know me and patterns))) and a label to put on the quilt.   Here is a picture of the fabric.  Do you see those colors?   I feel like they picked it just for me. I suspect that a little boy will get this since it is race cars -- but who knows, some little girl with a love of cars may get it.  I hope I find out someday.  This project immediately moves to the front of the line for me.  The funny thing is, when I went back to Quilt Hollow's blog I saw that she got very similar fabric but the accent colors are different. The fabric is cut into squares and strips ready to start sewing.  I do wish they had left me a little room for creative decisions, but still, I will have fun with this.    If  you are interested, go to the site and check it out.  If you sign up, you will have to pay for batting, thread and return shipping of the finished quilt.  But as blessed as we are, that is a small thing.

and Mary, if you are reading this - Thanks!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Kids get on my nerves too. Especially one named E. Anywho, I did this before Christmas. Really cool!

Unknown said...

Great project for a wonderful cause! Terrific fabrics for a little boy.

ooglebloops said...

Funny, I posted about this yesterday!! And, signed up for some fabric!! I didn't know they gave you a specific pattern too! In a way, that's good, and in a way, I'm like you - yikes!!!
It's a good thing tho -kids and their blankies......

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun your kit arrived in record time...I'm so glad you have also decided to make this one. Did you check into heading up something in your area?
Oh..and I don't know if you watch Entertainment Tonight but they had a little blurp about Downy quilts in one of their segments last night. I wanted to see more.
Enjoy your weekend. Mary

Anonymous said...

I'm going to check this out, thanks for the nudge. That kit was indeed made for you with all the colors. You can do the pattern but somehow I think you will put your own touch on it somewhere. I'm sure whatever you do will be very much appreciated.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Love Quilts for Kids!! Just finished quilting for 5 of my friends from IN. Let me know if you'd like me to finsh yours up for you. They do request machine quilting and machine stitched binding.

Pat said...

Yours is about the 6th kit I've seen with cars and I saw one additional kit with guitars. I'm hoping they have also distributed some that are a bit more "girly". I may send for one, also.

momtofatdogs said...

Blessed is right. You have the correct attitude! I think it's a wonderful program. I think I'll try to sign up too!!
Sam

Rhonda said...

Gene, you are so funny......a specific design....oh dear...........I'd be quaking in my boots.....I am not good at following directions....either!!!

Barb said...

I signed up but they told me that I could not have it sent to a PO Box....I did ask permission from my husband if I could have it sent to his office (there are no addresses here) and he said I could...but been too lazy, need to email her back.....love the colors

lesthook said...

I tried to sign up and kept getting this message.

The following errors were encountered
You are not authorized to perform this action

So I left a message on the phone. Hope they get back with me on Monday!

Debbie aka Marblesbestfriend said...

We received an almost identical kit and another in pinks with conversation hearts fabric. We'll meet the challenge and send back two extra quilts of our own design. The finishing will have to wait until April though because March is a month of travel for us.