Monday, February 15, 2010

Naming the Blocks

Everything needs a name doesn't it
 A name gives substance, makes real; naming is important.  So, I decided to name the two blocks I created when I messed up making a churn dash block.


The first block I am naming "Flies in the Butter" since a Churn Dash is part of the butter making process and when flies get in butter it is "ruined" much like my block was ruined. (but instead it became something very cool.)






















The second block I am naming "Crescent Wrench" because...well that is what it looks like to me. (and monkey wrench was already taken!) 























Ha.  Now, untraditional Gene has designed TWO traditionally pieced blocks!

15 comments:

Frummie said...

Great going Gene. Love them.
Frummie

luv2quilt2 said...

Way cool!!

Barb said...

Whohhoooo

Pat said...

GREAT....love the names you chose!!!

Lindi said...

Love those names! :)

Tangos Treasures said...

You amaze me!! Nice save again!!

Anonymous said...

Great names for two original blocks!

Royce said...

Isn't it great what can come from an ooops moment. I love both the blocks. I like the wrench a lot. Excellent names.

Unknown said...

Hey Gene? Guess what? You won an award on my blog. Tj adds "your so cool Gene". lol hugs

Micki said...

Nice idea personalizing the blocks with names. Love the reds Gene!
Micki

Rhonda said...

You go Gene!.....I love those blocks!

quiltingnana said...

I love the humor in Flies in the Butter!!!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

They are both great! And the second one, since you threw a wrench in the works, the name is appropriate!

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

This is funny! My favorite block is Churn Dash or Hole-in-the-Barn Door as it is sometimes called. "Flies in the Butter" is a good name for a variation on Churn Dash. "Flies in the Sugar" would be good, too, as I remember a lot of those when I was a kid. :-)

Martha said...

I am amused by your choice of names for your blocks, my mom's block of choice was one she called Monkey Wrench. The more excepted namefor the same block is churndash.