Sunday, August 02, 2009

Grandmother's Quilting -Memories

Ryan over at I'm Just a Guy Who Quilts posted about his grandmother and her quilting supplies that he inherited. When I commented I realized that my comment needed a picture but that it would make the beginnings of a blog post. So here goes!

Sadly, I didn't quilt when my grandmother passed away. I didn't even think to ask for any of those things. And I can't think of anyone else who would have wanted them. Happily, I have several quilts that she made in her primitive style. One of them graces the back of my sofa. It is extra special because it was made with recycled fabric from many things I remember.


Now, let me tell you, I don't need or want any "quilt police" comments on this. It has lots of "flaws" and would never win a quilt show. I don't care, I love it.

Here is a detail view. The green fabric and trim was once part of kitchen curtains in my mother's house.



If you look closely at the first picture- that striped piece near the bottom is really like what you see. She has a fold in PART of the strip and it is sewn down.

All of her quilts were made totally by hand and quilted in her lap with no frame or hoop. She made them not to be art work, but to keep you warm. Honestly they remind me a lot of the Gee's Bend quilts.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's awesome, and the fact that it was her's would be enough for anyone to love. I don't have any "quilty" hand-me-downs like that. Lucky you.

sewfunquilts said...

Oh Gene, that is wonderful! I didn't even know my grammas 'cause they both died young. What a treasure that is, and brings you much joy!

Libby said...

Wow, what a treasure! She did not make it to be art, but it is.

Pat said...

How very lucky you are to have something so special. I wish I had something made by one of my ancestors. Thanks for sharing that with us. I like the colors she used, too......and I'm sure it took her awhile to gather the recycled fabrics she used in that quilt. What a nice memory that you can identify some of them!!!

Andrea said...

It's fantastic - how lucky you are to own it. The quilt police would not dare to say a word against it x

Tangos Treasures said...

Sweet!!

Needled Mom said...

It is amazing how much a quilt like that can mean. We have so many great tools now and they used what they had handy and the quilts were made for a purpose.

Anonymous said...

So wonderful to have something of your grandmother that means so much!

quiltmom anna said...

Gene,
Things from my grandmother are some of my most treasured possessions. I have a number of her pieces of costume jewellery, some of her dishes and one quilt that was made by her and the ladies of the community. The quilt is not quilted - (it has stitcheries as our Aussie friends would call them) done by each lady of the community. It was done on muslin or feedsack material. I want to put a back on it to make it more durable.
I think that your grandmother's quilt is beautiful and unique. I can see why it is a most treasured gift.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Anna

Chris said...

You're so lucky to have this. My favorite quilts are my Gram's and Mom's quils and they were similar. You know that old saying? "use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without". That describes my Gram to a T. I also have a baby quilt that she made and by looking at it closely, I see it was probably the remants from a larger quilt that was no doubt worn to threads. It's amazing. She recycled and recycled and it's the loveliest thing I own. Yours is almost as beautiful as mine. lol