Friday, August 14, 2009

I made a Table Runner


Table Runner
Originally uploaded by GeneBlack
I had an idea for a quilty pattern. It is actually a piece, cut and piece back together pattern. I made a couple of errors, but it came out pretty good anyway. The blue sections were supposed to be different. I had planned to have each of those big squares be reverse of the other. I pieced it wrong. Arrrgh. The lighter blue square should be "top half light, bottom half dark" as you see it on the screen. The darker one should be "top half dark, bottom half light" That would have given a nice diagonal play to it.

As it is those are pieced from four squares each and I could have just used a big square for each of them. Live and learn.

Also the red part in the middle was a quick add-in. When I realized I had errrr...creatively rearranged (goofed) on the blues, I decided it needed broken up. Red to the rescue. And I think it adds an extra spark.

The binding went quickly thanks to Barb and her machine binding technique. I only need to hand stitch the mitered corners down.

Since I have no table that this works on, I will put it in my Etsy store.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Nice Job. I as of yet have not even attempted a table runner.

Pat said...

Nice and colorful! I need to see this binding technique of Barb's. Can you give me a direct link to that post of hers? (I usually read her everyday but must have missed that....or just can't recall it. I've tried machine sewing of bindings and haven't had luck so far.)

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks great! To bad you don't have a table to put it on.

Anonymous said...

Gene, it feels like this one had a mind of its own. Best to just go with it as you did, and enjoy the colorful result. That unplanned red adds a great deal and is perfect!

Rhonda said...

Gene, you are just doing a great job, whipping all the wonderful projects out. Way to go!!!!

Betsy said...

Gene I love it! Simple but it has looks of style at the same time.

Barb said...

Yes, I love it too...same as the above..