Monday, August 17, 2009

Whew! Sorting and Storage

I have run out of room for fabric. Horrors! I will try the "fabric diet" that I have heard of. You know, I won't buy anymore stash fabric. I will only buy if I absolutely have to for a project. And only then if I can't make something else work.


Today, I got home from my mini-trip, overnight in Atlanta. I stopped on the way home and bought 2 and half yards of fabric. This is where it begins.

When I got home, I decided to start re-sorting my fabric. It was/is in a rolling plastic drawer unit. I took each drawer out one at a time. I took each piece of fabric, folded in half - selvedeges to the center fold, then folded around my 9.5 square ruler. Each drawer will hold two stacks neatly folded this way. (I read about someone else folding fabric that way - it was NOT my idea)

The smaller cuts are folded similarly but into 5 inch wide stacks.(approximately, I did NOT go get a smaller ruler fold those.)

Now I have a confession. I never thought I would EVER say this. I am tired of looking at and folding fabric. I don't even want to sew tonight. Of course I was tired before I started. I actually thought this would be a nice way to wind down. Whoops. My mistake.

My cutting board still has yet more unfolded fabric on it. I don't even want to look at it tonite.

The good news is this: the next time I go looking for fabric, I will be able to see what I have easily. And I won't be grabbing the small pieces when I need at least a yard for something. But when I need a smaller piece, I know where to go too

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan, Gene. Good luck!

Greg said...

If you run out of room again, clean out your freezer and store the fabric there. Wrap it in freezer paper and mark it 'meat' no one will touch it!!!

Pat said...

I know what you mean.....have done the fabric sorting bit and get sick of doing it BEFORE I finish. But....it does need to be done occasionally. *sigh*

Unknown said...

great minds think alike Gene......I did the same thing.

Betsy said...

That's an excellent idea Gene, but not going to happen here. Organizing that stash takes soooo much time away from creating. You know what I mean.

smudgecat44 said...

Gene, today was the first day I read your blog, I will now follow religiously. I read this from my sewing room where it appears that a fabric bomb exploded. A very timely post.

Barb said...

It does feel great to have it all organized doesn't it.

LadyTulip said...

That's a good idea to use a storage container that you can see into!! -- I've got brackets ready for shelves, an' all my fabric will finally have a nice little home. In theory...lol!!

L.

Anonymous said...

I hate getting into fabric sorting and them burning out. It usually winds up sitting for awhile.

I have been on a non buy diet since the start of the year. I did splurge on 3 1/4 yard cuts to add to a scrap quilt and of course battings but other than that I'm doing well.

Faith said...

Sometimes going through your fabric stash instead of buy more and more can be therueputic....just arranging the colours side by side, I used to do this alot as a child with coloured pencils when it rained outside. Us quilters will always go out fabric hunting incase it rains and never stops. Ive loved reading your blogs looking forward to coming again.