Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Bound, but well.....(a secret)

So I finished the lap quilt. It is a D9P and then I added a border of strip pieces.
I started to free motion quilt it on Saturday with a polyester batting. This batting was left over from the very first quilt I made. (a good brand name, too, just so you know) I tried to quilt that one on the machine and it gave me fits so I ended up tying that first quilt.
But now, I had lots more experience. I was READY to do it. Let me tell you a secret: the batting makes a HUGE difference. I LOVE to quilt Warm and Natural batting into a quilt. It is all cotton and the quilt sandwich stays together with just a little help. (I use a spray basting product that is really inexpensive - don't faint, don't laugh -okay laugh if you want- I use AquaNet hairspray. Hey I never claimed to be traditional or normal. It works for me!)

The polyester batting had the layers sliding all over the place. The backing got wrinkles quilted in it. ARRRRGH. I got in the floor with the seam ripper and nearly went blind, but I got that free motion quilting all out. I had done about a fourth of the quilt so it took a while.
That batting is now reserved to stuff something with or for use in a REALLY SMALL piece. Ugh!

So, I got the Warm and Natural (W&N) and did it up right. Here are the pictures.





Now, the "but well...." part. I used a binding that was pre-made on a roll. It was given to me. I hate to waste anything. I thought "this will work" So I used it. It is a light green with a small floral print on it. I like the color and the pattern. But, well....it feel odd. I don't love it, but I think I will leave it after all

19 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks great!

Greg said...

Nice work Gene.. It doesn't matter what was used in the construction process, as long as its complete. And throw in Warm and toasty too! It looks like the Baby can keep up with your demands!

Betsy said...

It looks very nice. I have never used polyester batting. I would love to try wool and silk batting one day.

Libby said...

Great quilt! The hairspray idea is fascinating...that's a new one on me, but it certainly would be affordable.

Vesuviusmama said...

I know you said not to laugh, but hairspray!?! I laughed out loud! I love your ingenuity. The quilt looks great.

lesthook said...

LOL! Aqua Net! I remember how sticky that stuff was back in the days of big hair. Your quilt is cool!

bingo~bonnie said...

I've not bought hair spray in years - but at a class I went to in April our teacher told us that the best basting spray to use was HAIR SPRAY!!!

and growing up in the Big Hair decade of the 90s - I remember AquaNet being the best stuff to spray our big hair dos with... so next time I'm at the grocery I'll try and remember to pick up a can for the quilting room ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Gene Black said...

I suppose my "basting spray" was another secret. I am all for sharing fun and crazy ideas!

Pat said...

I use hairspray (from the dollar store) to spray baste small wall hangings but never used it on a bit quilt. I'm glad to know it works on a big quilt, too. I like your quilt...it turned out nice (even if it did give you a run for your money). I just used some need batting recently....it is called Quilters Dream Green (from the Quilters Dream batting people). It was wonderful to use but I was doing a wall-hanging, so I don't know how it would be on a big quilt. It's made from recycled plastic bottles!!!! You can GOOGLE it and read about it online.

sewfunquilts said...

Scrappy quilts are my favorite and this one is wonderful! I've never heard of the hair spray secret, but instead of buying the expensive Su...brand, I will try the Aqua Net next time. Love it.

Sounds like Baby has been working overtime. Don't you ever let her take a nap?

ooglebloops said...

I can certainly attest to the stickiness of hairspray residue - makes perfect sense to use it- inexpensive too!
Love the quilt it has perfect snuggability!!!

Anonymous said...

Scrappy is my favorite look, and I love this quilt, even the binding! What a clever idea to use hair spray for a basting spray! The only thing I'd wonder about is it's alcohol content, is that OK for a quilt? Although I suppose it would wash out...just a few rambling thoughts there.

Barb said...

Hi Gene,
I love the quilt, love how you did the border. Glad you are loving yor machine. Isn't it fun to have a machine that makes quilting so much easier?

I only use polyester, that is all I have and grateful to have it but maybe once i get back to the States I will try your warm and natural....maybe I won't get that occasional bunching.

I will have to go and get me some Aquanet hair spray....great idea...no laughing here.

Anonymous said...

Just a cute quilt..but I do have to ask...do you use the aerosol or the pump spray?? This could be my solution to the basting spray thing...The cheapest can I saw was for $10 LOL I kinda like how the white binding stands out against the blue.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Hairspray huh? Well I'll beeee. Maybe I'll give it a try. Your quilt is wonderful!. The baby (nameless) is very talented!
Pat

Nancy Sue said...

Gene, thank you so much about the suggestion of Aqua Net hairspray substitute for the spray adhesive. I am celiac (gluten intolerant ) with a topic wheat allergy to skin. Most spray adhesives and interfacing are derived from wheat and not corn, but Aqua net is wheatfree! whoo hoo! You made my week!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hairspray...OMG...it is way cheaper too! Wish I would have thought of this when I lived overseas and couldn't get them to ship me basting spray. Of course now I have the longarm and don't need it but what a wonderful idea! Thanks for telling us about it! I didn't laugh...I had a DUH moment!

Royce said...

I'm very happy to know about the hair spray. I was afraid any adhesive would gum up my needle, so it's great to know it won't. I just think it would be so retro to have the huge can of Aquanet sitting in the bathroom. Your quilt is very pretty.
I use the bamboo batting and love it.
I'm keeping my poly bat for stuffing too.

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea Gene. I usually just baste with thread. I tried that fusible batting and it just plain sucked! I'll have to try your hair spray idea.

I really like your quilt. I feel your art background from all your pieces. Love them!!