Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bright Idea - Conception to Execution

Yeah I woke up slowly this morning. The temperature had dropped overnight and I slept in for a bit. But once I got awake, I thought "I will do something bright today.
So after breakfast, I started on a quilt top. I was going to do it "quilt as you go" but after I got all the blocks made and laid out, I didn't want to add the joining strips. SO!!! I just sewed them together and added a border.
There is no pattern, just a general idea to make these. I stacked up four pieces of fabric (size -about 14 inches square, so I could trim to 12.5 inches square later)
I made one cut across it with the rotary cutter and my long ruler. Shuffled it and sewed them together again. Repeat a couple of times. For part of them I did 8 pieces, cut sewed, split into two stacks and the shuffled the stacks and repeated. Get the idea? I needed a couple of extra squares so I made them with whatever was left over. I call that "granny piecing." Because that is something my Grandmother would have done.

I added a border to make it a bit larger. Now all I have to do is piece a backing, quilt it and bind it. I wonder if I will finish it this weekend. Wish me luck!



One other question- "Is it loud enough?"

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

No such thing as Too Loud Gene. I follow the old saying

if it's too loud you're too old!!

;)

Pat said...

I really like it!!!! And yes...it's loud enough...LOL

ooglebloops said...

The words "op art" came to mind when I saw this - I'm dating myself, I know!! I love the colors and the placement - very vibrant!! A great accomplishment for a cold dreary Saturday!!!

sewfunquilts said...

I love your freedom to just do it! and the bright colors are wild & wonderful!

BROOKE said...

I love the ransomness and am addicted to BRITES and strong colors myself. There's a line of fabrics at walmart that when I was just having a go at quilting were the only one's I used. Okay so it helped they used to only be $1.50 a yard! They've gone up a full dollar in the past four years. Isn't that sad.

Unknown said...

oh Gene, I love that.....love the brightness of it as well.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I can't HEAR you!
What an excellent idea. I'm going to copy you!

Anonymous said...

I also remember "op art" ;) Color everywhere on your blog, as always. Just what this dreary day needed!

JustCindy said...

I love it! The brighter the better.

Greg said...

Thats a nice quilt Gene? And no, its not to loud, in fact you could've turned it up a notch or two dozen. Its a really nice piece.

Barb said...

Yep, it is loud enough!! It is wonderful!!

hetty said...

Loud enough? I can hear it all the way over here! I love the bright colours. Very nice and I hope you get it finished this weekend!

Tangos Treasures said...

Looks great! Love the wild colors!

Brenda said...

OMG Gene, Now that just woke me right up...LOL!
I think it's pretty bright alright. The piecing is wonderful; looks like a work of art! B=)

Rhonda said...

Hi Gene. I love this quilt because the colors are striking. It would be great in a teen's room. The "wackiness" of it is fab!!!!!