Monday, October 12, 2009

A Designer Original

I have been thinking for several months that I would LOVE to design fabric. As an artist, I love taking my designs and seeing what I can do with them. This particular design is made from a painting I painted. I have also designed some fabrics using my "doodles" and working with them in Photoshop.

A friend told me about an online company that will print fabric for you from your own designs. I checked and they print it on Moda Fabric.

The pictures here are what an 8" by 8" square of the fabric would look like. (so you know the scale.)
Without further ado, here is the design.




They have an option of rotating the repeat also. So here is the same design with a half drop repeat.





Which do you like better? I think I am partial to the first one. But don't let that alter your opinion.

Edited to add: You know, after seeing both of them on the blog, I may like the second one better.

13 comments:

lesthook said...

I can't decide. I keep changing my mind,LOL!

Greg said...

They are both really neat patterns. I like both!!

Pat said...

I like the second one better......the first has the design looking too much "in a row" for me.......so the second one is more to my liking. GREAT job on this! (When you become a famous fabric designer, will you remember all us "little people" who were your friends "way back when"??? LOL)

Stephanie Hughes said...

Gene, I love these!!! I like the second one best bec the pattern is every other. But they are both perfect. Very nice colors. BTW, my middle name is Gene named after my graddaddy Eugene. Steph

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, aren't they the same? please don't shoot me Gene, I can barely see a difference. But, I lovee the both.

Anonymous said...

I think I like the second one too and I'm not sure why! I love your using your paintings in this way!! I'd buy it!

Barb said...

I like both of them but I like the first one better....always have to be different....

Gari in AL said...

The first picture/fabric would allow for the quilter to use it for specific borders or parts of blocks. The second would work best for making blocks that didn't need tone on tone. Each has a purpose that the other can't provide. Maybe you can have both printed?

Anonymous said...

If you can't print both to offer buyers a choice , I'd go with #2. I literally see depth in that one!

Melissa ;-) said...

I like the repeat of the first, but only if a large unbroken area of this fabric was to be used. For a smaller area, I like the second one better.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Very cool....second one better!

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Beautiful, Gene, I love it. BTW, I´d make a jacket from it to wear with my jeans.
I like number 2. For some reason, it seems more finished and refined.

Kat said...

They are both absolutely beautiful! I like the first one best :)