Friday, October 09, 2009

Quilt Festival

Amy over at Park City Girl blog is hosting the Fall Quilt Festival.
For this Fall entry I am going to tell about this Crazy Quilt I made. First, take a look at this beauty (monstrosity?) Whatever! Ha ha.




Part of the Festival is telling about the quilt, the quilt's story so to speak. This quilt started as experimental blocks. The string blocks are on muslin foundations and I made them "just to see how it worked" Guess what it worked GREAT. Then the other blocks are huge scrappy blocks. They have no planning involved. I took scraps, strips and the occasional orphan block and just sewed pieces together until it was as big as four of the joined string blocks.

I put this together in three big sections that were quilted individually. Those sections were joined in a quilt as you go fashion.

Making this quilt was in a way a tribute to my maternal grandmother who used everything was available to make quilts. She didn't always plan them out. She did plan some out, but if she ran out of the planned colors, she just grabbed what she had and made do. I treasure the quilts she made that I still have. But I also just use them on the bed to make it warmer. That is the real way I honor her. She meant for her quilts to be used. She sewed them with love and patience (every stitch in hers are by hand!)

I am lucky to have that heritage so I don't feel "boxed in" by the rules and the mythical quilt police. Thanks Granny for making me free.

21 comments:

Zonnah said...

I really like this! It is like having multiple quilts in one :)

Greg said...

Thats a nice looking quilt. I love scrappy quilts with no rules. Think I'll start one to shrink my stash...

BROOKE said...

I love it! I've gotten to see a few of my great grandmothers quilts in the past year and they were just little bits of this and that and they are still on family beds today.

Nat Palaskas said...

Wow I love your quilt. It such a lovely and scrappy with interesting story behind it too. Hugs Natima

Marit said...

What a great quilt! It is a great tribute to your grandmother. Love the scrappiness of it, and the way you mixed those different blocks - a quilt with lots of "personality"

; )

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

It is a wonderful quilt. Scrap quilts are the best but then again I like the older ones like your grandmother made because they used what they had and it didn't matter if they ran out of one color. Nice job on the quilt.

Tambo said...

Wow!! How unique is that?! I love the fact that you dove right in and did what you wanted without a plan.

Granny Lyn said...

That is the way quilting was born,,,out of everything that could be used and then used again! you are sooo lucky to have "Granny Quilts"

Anonymous said...

Awesome Gene!! Glad you posted for quilt fest. Scrap quilts rock, our ladies of heritage knew their stuff!!

I'm always partial to the fun artistic spin your quilts take. Love it!!

hetty said...

What a great tribute to your grandmother! I love your quilt! Just following a pattern is one thing, but doing it your way is creative and free! Way to go Gene!

Anonymous said...

One of a kind, like everything else you create!

Anonymous said...

My Oma and tantes made quilts like this too! Love yours... :)

ooglebloops said...

I love it - it looks like it would be warm and no matter which way you looked at it on the bed - you would have a whole different look!!!

AnnieO said...

Wonderful the way you let go and just sewed! It's a crazy quilt of a different color and must make you smile whenever you see it and think of your Grandma. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

Stephanie Hughes said...

I love this crazy quilt. Very nice and out of the box. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful piece of art. Stephanie (Gene) :)

Rene' said...

Great, colorful, beautiful scrappy quilt!!! Thanks for sharing.

Mary P said...

This is wonderful. I would call it exuberant--a riot of color. I love the improvisational style and the historical context.

SewCalGal said...

I love your quilt. Delightful colors & fabrics.

Thanks for sharing and for participating in the Bloggers Quilt Festival.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

I love your colourful and scrappy quilt!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I love it! So colorful and full of life!

Casey said...

Brilliant play of colors. It has a very festive feel to it.