Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lantern Frenzy ♪♫♪


I am sure you have noticed that I haven't posted in a few days.  What?!?!? You didn't miss me?  I am so hurt - cut to the bone - bleeding....Yeah, well I will get over it.  Ha ha. 


The past few days I have been working diligently steadily  like a mad man on my Japanese Lantern quilt.  So do you want to see the final quilt?  

So do I, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  What I have at this point is a stack of 15 or so blocks that measure 18 by 18 inches.  For the lanterns, (in case you have forgotten - or GASP didn't read that post) I am using all Asian fabrics.  Most of the fabrics have gold metallic overlay to make the lamps glow!  Okay, so one or two of the fabrics aren't Asian per se but they still carry the theme. 

Here are some sneak peaks. 





I am thinking that this may be the prettiest quilt I have ever made.  
All the pieces are cut with my AccuQuilt GO! cutter. This has made the process amazingly easy. 
I am thinking that I will make this quilt 4 blocks by 4 blocks which will take 16 blocks.  That will make it 72" square. I can then add borders if desired to make it larger.  I will most likely add a 3 or 4 inch border all around it. If I can find a mottled back fabric etched in gold it will be perfect for a border.  What do you think?


16 comments:

Pat said...

Sounds like you have a GREAT plan. I had my friend, Sherry (the one with the new blog) become a follower on your blog today. I told her you had a good blog to follow...so don't make a liar out of me, okay??? LOL

Pat said...

Oh, yes...I did have Sherry look at your Tim Tam Slam video....THAT was her introduction to your blog!!! :)

Unknown said...

You have been working hard! How perfect for a lantern quilt, Asian fabrics. As far as the borders go, I would really need to see the entire quilt to give you a better idea. Can't wait to see it!!

Unknown said...

it gets so exciting when you are almost to the end!

sewfunquilts said...

Those fabrics look like they are going to work well for this one, Gene. I'm sure anxious to see more of it. Am glad you are having a good time with it. (Man, hurry up with that pattern.)

Barb said...

You are working like a mad man...at least now you admit you are mad...

love the fabrics and design.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow you have been busy! Looks great!
Yes you were missed!

Anonymous said...

This one will be a beauty!

Kim Brackett said...

It's looking great! Can't wait to see it finished. It's going to be beautiful!

Petit Design Co. said...

you are making good progress! Will it be done for next guild meeting?

Sarah said...

This is looking great! I can't wait to see it finished.

Rhonda said...

Gene, I'm sure those fabrics are more beautiful in person but they sure look sweet from here. I'm loving this quilt.

Micki said...

Boy, you have been working out! It is looking great! Can't wait to see it finished!
Micki

Unknown said...

ok, i'm back, I know I left a comment here yesterday, guess you were confused as well and deleted it, or maybe I didn't........anywho, can't wait to see these laterns completed

Quilting Lab said...

HI Gene,
Nice knowing others out there are "mad" also! Well working like mad, OK. I have a lantern pattern I was thinking of doing so am curious to see yours finished. The asian/goldish fabrics sound great for it, too!Fun site you have!
Sherry

Vesuviusmama said...

I love the idea of making the lanterns "glow" with gold accents in the fabrics.