Wednesday, July 07, 2010

And so it begins - The Dance of the Japanese Lanterns

The Dance of the Japanese Lanterns - formerly known as "Dancing Accordions"  is under construction. Yaay!
One of my blogger buddies, Sewmeow, suggested "Asian fabrics etched with gold."  We emailed a couple of times and she also said something about a black "smeary" background.  ---I think "Ooooh, I like it!" so I went shopping.  I got the black and a bit of Asian fabric, more is coming later.  Tonight I cut a number of black chisels and enough of one Asian influenced fabric (oh yes etched with gold!) to make one nice lantern. This block is a big old 18" by 18" block.  WOW. 


Wanna see?  Well of course you do! (or else be nice and pretend so you don't hurt my feelings, okay?)



Now this is the same block just rotated so you can see both ways easily. I really wish the photo showed the gold on the Asian fabric. it is very pretty.  You may notice the lower left corner of the bottom picture looks dark, it was hanging off the edge of the table. Sorry!  The lanterns will be in alternating orientations in the final design.  If I have enough different fabrics, each one will be different.  This will be the sample for the pattern I am writing up. 
Are you as excited as I am??? probably not...but that is okay.  When I get the pattern finished (and the quilt finished too) I will be doing something special to celebrate.  (hint hint) So a word of encouragement along will be good.  
What do you think?  Do you like the idea?    I certainly do.  This was a fun block to make and it went super fast since I cut all the pieces with the Go! cutter and chain pieced them. 

13 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

It really is a pretty block, and the Asian themed fabric looks perfect for it.

Pat said...

OOOOOOO....I am loving it. I think I'd even love it if every lantern was in this same fabric, but I'm sure you have chosen several great fabrics for this. How big are you making this quilt? (With 18-inch blocks, it will make up quickly!)

Anonymous said...

I had another favorite in the post that this design was called accordions, but now that it's done in Asian fabrics and titled lanterns, I'm really, really loving it! Some of my favorite fabrics are Asians with gold accents. Lovely!

quiltmom anna said...

The fabrics look glorious- I love fabrics set on black and the black looks like it has movement in it. Asian fabrics are always so rich and the one you have chosen looks particularly beautiful.
It will be a terrific quilt Gene-
I look forward to seeing it.
Regards,
Anna

Kim Brackett said...

Very pretty! The Asian fabric is perfect for it.

Barb said...

Gene, that is truly an amazing quilt.....love it!

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow that's pretty!!

Rhonda said...

Gene, this is a great project.....I love the fabric. The way you've sewn the fabric together, it looks like a kaliescope. Love it!!!

quiltingnana said...

that is absolutely gorgeous. I love how the fabric makes the blocks sparkle

sewfunquilts said...

That Asian inspired fabric on the smeary black is soooooooooo outstanding! You are definitely an artist. Thanks for the "shout out" about my suggestions.

Micki said...

I love the blocks, and it is going to be a beautiful quilt. What fabulous Asian fabric, esp. the gold. It is stunning!
Micki

limpingalong said...

Very pretty!

Patty said...

I like it! :^)