Friday, August 13, 2010

Variation on The Friendship Star Topper

SI finally got some time to sew again. I had the Variation on the Friendship Star started from my video. So I made the rest of the blocks to make a 2 foot square table topper.  This is my own design.
Friendship Star Topper
Don't you love this fabric?  It is hand dyed. I got it from Ricky Tims.

I used the AccuQuilt GO! cutter with the Chisel Die and the 3 1/2"  Triangle Die to cut the pieces. I love how the center, where the four blocks are joined form a star rotating in the opposite direction.  This would be lovely done in solids also. If you do that, go for strong contrasts.

Simply by adding more blocks, you could make this into a bed quilt. If you are really diligent, you could make the stars that are created by joining the blocks a different color and have each color spin in different directions.  This would require using three colors of fabric.

If you make this design, please post a picture and send me a link to it. I would love to see what you do with it.

19 comments:

Frummie said...

Love it Gene!
Have a great Day!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fun to be surprised by what you get when you put things together? I also like the 3-D effect that's been achieved by high contrast here and there. Neat!

Vesuviusmama said...

Very nice! I like the rotating two-pronged/four-sided star effect in lights.

Peggy said...

I love it - what a nice topper!

Del Soden said...

just popping in to say G;day from New South Wales in Australia.

Kaye said...

WOW all I can say ia WOW

Barb said...

I don't have the chisel die....hummmm

You are just creating up a storm...

Micki said...

Can't join in but love the batiks you used.
Micki

Pat said...

WOW...you have my head spinning with the other ideas you mentioned as an extension of this!!! GREAT job, Gene (as always)!

ooglebloops said...

Pretty!!!!!I seriously need a GO!

quiltingnana said...

I love the fabric...the hand dyed tones just seem to make the quilt sparkle. It would be lovely as a full sized quilt

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I like the combination of colors Gene. Slow down will ya? You're making me look lazy again and I don't like that :)

Smiles,
Kelly

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful. Love the fabrics and colors. Excellent. And, very inspirational - especially for those with AccuQuilt products. love it!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Great fabrics......I've gotta get into dying!

So Gene have you figured out how to wash those cooling neck things? I've worn my two all summer and now they are a bit stinky....is there a way to refresh them? can they be thrown in the wash?
I haven't been able to find any info on them except how to make them.

Happy Sewing

Pat said...

Very nice. I like the design as the fabric is great.
Happy Quilting!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

great block! and very nice job with your first video tutorial!

Greg said...

YES! Score one for me... I have the chisel die, just no cutter YET!!! C'mon September 1.... Thats a great looking star Gene.. You do amazing work.

Quilting Lab said...

Great Fabrics and a super look from the design! Good Going Gene!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks very pretty. I'm sitting here cruising quilting blogs when I should be writing. I'm glad though, otherwise I wouldn't have found your blog with the cool topper, which I won't be making, but I love seeing. Thanks for sharing. ~Nita