Thursday, August 05, 2010

Pictures of the Cooling tie

I am posting the pictures for the post yesterday about the cooling tie.   I will repeat the instructions after the picture so you don't have to hunt for them if you want to make these.

The entire Cooling tie.  I left these hanging to dry so it is partially dehydrated, but it still feels cool.










Double sewn seam.








This is the end.  There are no crystals in this part so it is flat for tying. You could angle the end if you want to fancy it up a bit.


And a silly picture of how I wear these.  The blue of the fabric almost disappears against by blue FOCUS tee shirt.
One reason these are so effective is that the cooling part is right against the carotid artery in the neck. But they also make great sweat/head bands to cool at the temples.  (think an ice pack on your hot forehead ---ahhh!)  Either way they help to keep you cool.





Repeat of the directions:

Cut a strip of fabric 4 1/2 inches wide (I used width of fabric.) . Fold lengthwise right sides together. REDUCE your stitch length.  I set mine at 1.6    Sew a 1/4 " seam along the long edge. This makes a tube that you will need turn so the right sides are out and the seam is inside.

Fold the tube in half  to find the mid point. Sew a seam across the midpoint and reinforce it well. I sewed back and forth over mine to make a strong seam.  Now pour a table spoon of the crystals in one end.  Shake them to the center seam.  Sew a seam about 9 or 10 inches from the center seam trapping in the crystals.
Repeat at the other end, adding crystals and sewing.  Then turn the ends of the tube in to make the ends neat and hem close to the edge.

The tube is soaked in cold water prior to wearing it. To wear it either tie it around your neck or your head  I find hanging it around my neck and tying loosely to be perfect.  It will really help keep you cool when you have to get out in this unbearable heat.
If you make one (or several) I would love to see pictures of you wearing them.

12 comments:

Quilting Lab said...

Thanks for the pics, I now get it completely!!! And of course, you did a great modeling job!!!
Sherry

Barb said...

I love your smile best of all...

Stephanie Hughes said...

Gene, I will love to make one of these! I am suffering from menopause and when I get hot at work I put a cold cloth towel around me. I will have to try to make one of these! Steph

Tangos Treasures said...

tee hee Cool!

Pat said...

I just have to find those crystals...and then I'd like to make one, too.

sewfunquilts said...

Your instructions, pictures are great! And.....YES..your smile is wonderful!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Now that is a COOL idea! You are incredibly talented, sir! Thank you so much for taking the time to come to visit me, and yes, Dame Judy is my all-time favorite. And I kid you not; my mother-in-law looks just like her! WHat two beautiful woman....have a wonderful weekend, Gene! Anita

Micki said...

Very neat idea! Here in Ireland, we don't need it, but I love the idea!
Micki

Melissa ;-) said...

Great neck coolers, Gene! Another reason yours in particular would be so effective is that they are real long and come way down on the chest. Cooling that chest bone can really cool you off too (think ice cream headache!).

Unknown said...

sexy man!

Peggy said...

Thanks for the instructions, Gene - we bought one for our dog last summer, at a craft fair booth that was selling goodies for pets - it seems to help our Sadie, maybe I should make some for us now that I know how!!

Vesuviusmama said...

Just curious, what does FOCUS on your t-shirt stand for? My father has a couple shirts with FOCUS logos for a program he worked with with children.