Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Is it Hot enough?

Folks the heat has me just drained of energy.  I am not getting much done.  Today on my indoor/outdoor thermometer the reading for the high outside was 105.4 F

Now the sensor is on the north side of my house IN THE SHADE, so  that is just too hot.  To help keep cool, I made some cooling ties last night.
The concept is simple. You need some fabric yardage and a container of water absorbing crystals.  The crystals I got at WalMart in the plant department. The ones I got are Schultz Moisture plus.  They are used in the potting soil to retain water and keep the plants moist.

Cut a strip of fabric 4 1/2 inches wide (I used width of fabric.) . Fold lengthwise right sides together. REDUCE your stitch length.  I set mine at 1.6    Sew a 1/4 " seam along the long edge. This makes a tube that you will need turn so the right sides are out and the seam is inside.

Fold the tube in half  to find the mid point. Sew a seam across the midpoint and reinforce it well. I sewed back and forth over mine to make a strong seam.  Now pour a table spoon of the crystals in one end.  Shake them to the center seam.  Sew a seam about 9 or 10 inches from the center seam trapping in the crystals.
Repeat at the other end, adding crystals and sewing.  Then turn the ends of the tube in to make the ends neat and hem close to the edge.

The tube is soaked in cold water prior to wearing it. To wear it either tie it around your neck or your head  I find hanging it around my neck and tying loosely to be perfect.  It will really help keep you cool when you have to get out in this unbearable heat.

Sorry I don't have pictures.. I was just too overcome by the heat to make them.

14 comments:

Chartreuse Moose said...

How interesting, I wonder if you could tuck them into plastic bag in fridge for a bit for extra cool? Heat like 105 is just scary, be careful! Hope it breaks soon!

B J Elder said...

Those neck coolers are great. I've made them before. A couple years ago DH and his brother and family hiked the Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon. I made one for each of them and they got lots of use on their hike.
Hope you cool down soon.

Melissa ;-) said...

I love neck coolers. We take them to the Nascar races. We just keep them in the coolers with our drinks and switch them out whenever they get warm. Stay frosty!

Pat said...

What a great idea...I hope your heat eases up a bit for you, though.

sewfunquilts said...

Thanks for reminding me about those. I've been meaning to make a couple of them, as they really do help. Hope it subsides some for you.

Barb said...

Sounds good but I would love to see a picuture, I am a visual persoon. Stay cool....it has been so nice here in Amerika Samoa...still sweat but it is bearable.

Tangos Treasures said...

Cool, I've been wanting to make some of those for DH when he's working out in the heat! Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

A gal in our guild has been making neck coolers to send to the troops in Iraq for years. I guess they are good anywhere it's hot, and that seems to be everywhere this year.

quiltingnana said...

what a great idea! Will have to try it

luv2quilt2 said...

Great idea. I used to have one when I was a cub scout leader. Now I just stay inside in the air conditioned house.

Petit Design Co. said...

ugh, I have been trying to not go out much because the car is so hot and with the kids it's just annoying. I've even had to let my dogs into the house! I can't believe the heat advisories for today and tomorrow say we could have a heat index of up to 115F!

I decided against running the Woodstock 5k on Sat but my kids still want to do the 1 mile fun run. I hope it's definitely cooler on Sat morning.

Quilting Lab said...

Wow, what a super idea! Had no idea these things are so easy to make and where to get crystals! See things like this advertised all the time, and for dogs, too. I do wish for picture but, feel your lack of energy from the heat! Keep your cool tie on!
Sherry

Sarah said...

We are melting too with not much relief in sight :(

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello there, Gene! I just had to visit you....I have seen your face and name every time I visit Micki in Ireland and I just had to pop in to say HI! You have a wonderful life of creating! HAVE FUN!!!! Anita