Saturday, August 20, 2011

Silly Play Saturday - Lessons Learned

Sometimes it is great to just play. So for fun  - to let my inner child play - I took some fusible web and a few pieces of scrap that I thought would probably never be used and played. 


I fused the scraps to a piece of Wonder Under (double sided fusible) and let it cool.  *Lesson1: it is easier to fuse a full piece of fabric than it is loose pieces.  


Then I sat down with my scissors and started cutting. I tried to do a circle - not exactly round  *Lesson 2: for perfect circles use the AccuQuilt GO! cutter and the circle die. 


Hmm... this not so round circle reminds me of a cat  - a particular storybook cat. 


I cut more pieces and made more mistakes *Lesson 3: making mistakes is a part of learning. 


I put together a silly storybook picture and took it (carefully) back to the ironing board.  I fused it.  See how silly:


The yellow cloud behind his head is just there to add contrast. 


Laura Wasilowski suggests always using hand dyed fabric.  I didn't have any in the scraps I was using.  Had I had some for the background, here is what it may have looked like:
It would definitely have made an improvement. (and the yellow cloud would have been totally unnecessary!) Maybe I will keep this piece and try using paint and textile medium to "dye" the background. 

Do you ever just play? If you do, good for you.  If you don't, you should try it.  It opens doors in your creative mind. 


9 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Too cute and with lessons learned that you could share. Only one question. What shade of lipstick is Kitty using??? LOLLLLLLLLLLLL
....and I love silly

limpingalong said...

Love It!

Barb said...

I love your play time....

Sue said...

Oh Gene, I thought your yellow cloud was a wild blonde hair-do! Making this a very trendy cat with lipstick and curls.

Pat said...

I am one who, also, thought the yellow was blonde hair!!! :)

Heather said...

Too cute!!

Tangos Treasures said...

Playing is good! Love the kitty!

Barbara said...

Cute! Every one of my spirit dolls comes together by this trial and error play method. It is, indeed, a lot of fun!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

How cute, love the hand dyed background. I love to play and have been cutting lots of different shapes of leaves and flowers to play with.


http://conniekresin.blogspot.com/