Sunday, August 21, 2011

Start Me Up


The play with the fusible applique cat has sparked an idea.  A while back, I read a book Simply Stunning Woven Quilts by Anna Faustino. I kept thinking that I would try the techniques in the book -but I never did. 
Since the play sparked my "why not just try it" mode, I took some batik fabric and tried it my way.  I did not reference the book at all since, although I own it, it wasn't close at hand. 
I put fusible on two pieces of fabric, then did the cutting and weaving. Then I fused it all to a piece of cotton batting. 
Wanna see?  Of course you do. 

Woven Batik Background

This will be the start of a fun applique piece. I plan to redo the Silly Play Saturday cat design.  However, I will make it a bit more fun and whimsical.  Several people thought the yellow cloud was blonde hair - those comments inspired me. Thank you! Your comments mean more than you know at times.  And you never know, I might do a giveaway based on comments made in the past!
Did you do anything fun this weekend?  Oh, and what do you think of the woven background?


If you don't hear from me for a couple of days - fear not - something fun is going to be going on.  (((grin))) I will tell you later!

15 comments:

Barb said...

I like all the fun play you are having.....can I join in on the fun?

Heather said...

Oooooooo look at those gorgeous fabrics!!!!! Enjoy your play time!

Donna said...

I thought the cat was caught with his halo glowing! Love the woven piece!

SewCalGal said...

Ok. As you asked for comments....I love your cat and wish you had entered it in the Pets on Quilts Show. Maybe next year. We didn't have many art quilts entered either, so you would have most likely been a guaranteed winner in that category.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

ooglebloops said...

That is really cool. I wish you would do a tutorial, so we could all see how you did it!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I have been out of town for a great weekend so I am behind on reading. Your cat is adorable - love the primitive look. And the woven fabric is very beautiful. Looks like you had a fun weekend of experimentation :)

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome!!

Melissa ;-) said...

Very cool, Gene! Sounds simple enough, too. Way simpler than cutting and sewing all of those curves the old fashioned way!!

Rhonda said...

The weave is great... I love the colors and the idea. Thanks for sharing the idea and the name of the book that it came from.

Pat said...

Enjoy your fun couple of days and....TAKE PICTURES for me!!!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I actually bought the book and plan to do several pieces. I am not brave (or more like creative) as you.

Susan In Texas said...

The woven batik is gorgeous, Gene. So you want to do that and Sunbonnet Sue too, huh? Sounds like me. WIDE range of interests. 8)

Happy stitching,
Susan in Texas

Barbara said...

I've been busy too, but not weaving. I love that idea! Think you are having a great deal of fun there, and I love the gradual gradation of color.

Royce said...

I LOVE the woven background - great fabric choices too! I did try this once with black and white - it wasn't as easy for me as I would have thought but turned out fine after much tweaking.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Looks great to me...and I hope you are having a great time :)

Smiles,
Kelly