Wednesday, August 03, 2011

What AM I Making?

Surprise it is NOT a quilt.  I suppose I am on a quilt break right at the moment. Why?
Mom's fig tree is bearing an enormous amount of figs this year. But, mom isn't canning since Dad is gone and she has no help during the day. So, I am giving figs away, eating figs, and What???  I just did something I have never done before.  I made Jam (or is it preserves?)  Does it matter? I don't think so. 
I went online and found a recipe for making fig preserves with strawberry jello (a co-worker told me about her aunt making it.) 
I cut the figs in quarters, (yes I washed them first!) then added all the other ingredients and put it on to boil. 
I used this lovely silicone spatula to stir it.  It looks pretty good...but....
well look closely- those chunks are kind big still -see:
What to do?   I tried the potato masher...it did NOT work.  So I thought, hey, I have a stick blender.  I plugged that puppy in and blended it right in the pot while it was cooking. 


Now it is smoother and looks a lot more like strawberry jam.
Here is a bit on a saucer. It is hot and runny but it looks right otherwise.
You would swear that is strawberry in there.  So I did all the proper cooking and boiling water bath and here are the results of my labor:


Five jars (8 oz.) of preserves or jam....whichever you want to call it. 
I confess I cleaned the spatula and the pot carefully (and ate the good stuff that was left) It is delicious.  


Now some folks turn the jars upside down, but my granny always just put a towel over them to let the cool down slowly so the jars don't crack.  I decided to follow granny's method. 


Okay, here is the recipe for you, just in case you need it.  (I got it from Cooks.com)  I renamed it and added my changes in parentheses. 

Faux Strawberry Fig Preserves/Jam

3 c. fresh, peeled figs mashed slightly (I didn't peel or mash to start with...just washed and quartered) 
2 c. sugar (I used 1 1/2) 
2 (3 oz.) pkg. strawberry Jello (I used one sugarfree and one with sugar)
1/2 c. water
1/2 slice lemon (I didn't have a lemon but I had "TrueLemon" packets -I used two
5 (8 oz.) jars
Mix all ingredients in large pot. Cook on high heat until mixture comes to rolling boil. Cook on medium heat 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Pour into sterilized hot jars and seal.


This is a first time event for me. I have never canned before. I do however read and follow directions really well for food safety. 

11 comments:

Lindi said...

Oh yumm! Can't wait for figs to be in season here. :)
I have emailed you one of my fave recipes plus links to a couple of others. :)

Vicki W said...

That sounds awesome! I love making jam. I've done strawberry, blackberry and cherry so far this season.

Tangos Treasures said...

Yeah for you!! Looks great & thanks for sharing the recipe!! I love hearing the jar lids pop when they seal!

Unknown said...

yummy...I just let mine cool slowly like you did, never heard of turning them upside down

Barb said...

My mother used to do this and I soooooo love the jam...ummm ummmm good!! Nice of you to help mom out...you are a wonderful son. I need to send my sons over to you to take lessons.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I have never canned anything but always love the fruits of the labor of others. Sounds like you had a great time making up your jam :)

sosarahsew said...

Looks delicious! awwwww, now you've gone and made me hungry.

Barbara said...

I canned some blueberry jam once. It was fun (and delicious), but I haven't done it again. I'm sure your mother appreciates having these waiting to be enjoyed.

Unknown said...

Oh, how I love figs!!! Try putting that jam over a log of goat cheese, or cream cheese if you prefer and eat with crackers. It's my favorite nosh! Thanks for the recipe!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Looks yummy Gene. Rick and Zach picked all our raspberries a week ago and now we have lots of jars of raspberry jam....nothing like homemade jam. I'll have to come visit and taste yours :)

Kelly

Miss Hillbilly said...

I think the only figs that I have ever eaten are in Fig Newtons and those probably don't count.