Saturday, December 03, 2011

Dad



This is a painting that I did of my Dad several years ago. I did the initial sketch in a hospital waiting room. Mom was extremely ill and we really thought we were going to lose her. It was a rough time emotionally. Sketching helped to occupy my mind so I could stay sane. Dad had dozed off so he was nice and still for the sketch. When I did the painting, I wanted to retain the sketchy loose quality. So I mixed a blue gray color.
After the painting was finished, I had it matted and framed. I presented it to Mom and Dad. It was immediately hung in the living room where it is to this day.
I am truly proud that I captured Dad's likeness. In case you are wondering, he wore a cap more than he went without one. He had a large number of caps. I am also glad that he was wearing a cap in this sketch/painting.

I have to say that I have been missing him and thinking a lot about him lately.  I love you Dad! Rest in peace.

6 comments:

Barb said...

Just amazing.....

Barbara said...

A lovely post on which to catch up with your blog. My lifestyle has changed, and I don't have enough time here now, but this post leaves nothing to be desired. A beautiful rendering of your beloved Father!

GerryART said...

Dear Gene,
♥s
hugs
Gerry

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I love it Gene. You are a man of many talents. Actually his hands reminded me of my Dads. He's been gone for a very long time, but I still feel him around sometimes.

Pat said...

What a wonderful job you did on that. I know the first year of everything is extremely hard after you lose someone you love. Hugs to you from me!

kinter said...

You are such an incredible artist. It is truly humbling! I love the sketchy nature that you retained in the painting and it serves as such a tribute to your dad. Beautiful.