Friday, December 23, 2011

Old machines and Bargain Fabric


Let me begin by showing you a couple of fun pictures.  These are some really old,  but still working, sewing machines that I saw the last time I went to Mexico.  I just now ran across the pictures so I decided to share them with you. 
Both of these machines were still being used in a shoe repair shop.  I was just fascinated to see them.  I asked the shop keeper if I could take photographs.  He smiled at me, waved broadly and went back to his customer.  I think these were the best pictures I got on that trip. 


Today, I was headed to a friend's house for some Christmas visiting when I almost passed by a fabric store.  I swear my car changed lanes all by itself and pulled into the parking lot.  What else could I do but go in and look?
Being a thrifty soul, I headed to the clearance fabrics.  I limited myself to one yard of each, but I got these:
There are seven yards of fabric, one is a Martha Negley by Westminister fabrics, there are a couple that are Free Spirit fabric, some Timeless Treasures....all GOOD quilting quality fabric. 
My total bill was  ----are you sitting down??? - - - good....My total bill, including sales tax, was a whopping $11.82 -after I got home, I discovered that one of them was only ninety-nine cents a yard.  
I should have bought more!
Merry Christmas to you all!




9 comments:

Lynn said...

Score!! That averages to $1.69 per yard. (Sorry I'm a math teacher and couldn't help myself)

Dora, the Quilter said...

Yes, you should have bought more! ;-) I would have! Happy Christmas!

Pat said...

Yes...you SHOULD have bought more and I think you need to go back there....SOON!!! Looks like some nice prints you got! Wish I lived near a place that had such good clearance fabrics and prices! Oh...love those old machines, too!

Barb said...

The machines are just fabulous.

Love the fabrics....wow..you sure trained your car to smell out a good deal.

Unknown said...

great deal on fabrics. WOW......

Anonymous said...

Love seeing the old machines.

And great job on the bargain fabrics! That's where I head too!

Rhonda said...

Two thumbs up to Gene for finding a fantastic sale!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

What a bargain! I have some of that Martha Negley fabric too that I got on sale but not as good of a price as you got.
Merry Christmas!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

good deal on the fabric! I like that soft yellow piece and I'm almost sure I have that black background in the right corner. Way to go!