Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ah that sound!

I am wondering how to adequately describe that sound.  It isn't quite a ping and it isn't quite a pop...but it is a sound I love. Us there a more satisfying sound than canning jars sealing?
Today after work, I went to Mom's -she had figs on the table and was saying she would probably have to throw them out.  YIKES!  How could you do that?  So I said, "Are there more on the tree?"  She said "Oh yeah a lot more."  So we went out and picked them.  Mom asked if I had jars and lids and rings.  I said I was pretty sure I had enough left.  Ha.  She insisted that I take what she had on hand (rings and lids, but not jars. I knew I had enough jars.   As I was getting in the car I thought out loud "I hope I have enough sugar." Mom said "Let me give you some!" so she brought out a partial bag with about two pounds in it.
I decided to stop by the store anyway.  So I got a box of lids, more sugar, some limes and orange jello.

I had enough sugar - using Mom's and what I had before the trip by the store.  I had enough jello - I didn't use the orange.   And I had a LOT of lids.  Oh well!  I washed and cut up all the figs,  I don't peel them, that is perfectly good fiber in there.
I decided to make Lemon Ginger first and I measured the three cups of figs, three cups of sugar and two packs of lemon jello into the pan. While that was getting hot I reamed two limes into it for the extra citric acid and a little flavor punch.  I love my wooden citrus reamer, it does a great job.
Then as it started to boil, I added some ground ginger...between a teaspoon and a tablespoon. LOL.  I just kinda dumped it in.  After it was cooking nicely I took my stick blender and pulverized all the pieces. So it is a nice smooth consistency.   After they were cooked to perfection, I put them in jars and water bathed them in boiling water for 15 minutes or better.
Then I did the grape version.  It is the same but using grape jello instead of lemon and no ginger is added.  I couldn't think what would spice up grape flavor so I went plain with it.

So, can you guess what is under this towel on my kitchen table?



Sure you can!    I know I "can"


Eleven 8-ounce jars of fig perserve goodness.  I made 5 jars of Lemon Ginger flavored and 6 jars of grape flavored fig preserves. I know the lemon ginger was wonderful last year. I hope the grape is good too.

While I was writing this post I think every jar that wasn't already sealed made that pop/ping sound.  Ahhh....pure delight in eleven little jars.

I have more figs in the freezer.....so I will be canning again sometime soon, I hope.


13 comments:

Kathleen said...

Mmmm... one of my favorites. Figs are a delightful little fruit, there isn't another flavor like them in my book.

Pamela Kieffer said...

Figs - oh how wonderful.

Tudy said...

I always loved that sound when I canned. No garden anymore and no kids at home. So I do not can anymore. I sure miss the smells and the ping of the lids sealing.

Karen H said...

I've never had figs, and also never had fig preserves. I don't think we have those around here... enjoy!

Rhonda said...

I think it makes a "pop" sound. Figs.......I love them your recipe sounds yummy. I just canned some the other day.....just sugar and figs went into my recipe. I fit 4 pints and 5 half pints. Figs have a very short window of opportunity to be picked be here in central so I'm afraid that I'll only get this one chance.

Barbara said...

Plink!

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

I love figs! Sounds yummy. I haven't canned in years. I loved canning when I lived in Texas. No big garden here in Washington and I miss it!

Pat Merkle said...

I know the sound and it is wonderful!

Melissa said...

Looks delicious! I have strawberry with lemon blossoms and balsamic blueberry preserves from aunt's gardens. Nothing better than homemade!

bellefrogworks said...

I really only like figs dried - but I love preserves so I might like these as well. Used to have a fig tree when I lived in NY - fed the birds right off the tree!!!

Snoodles said...

Oh, how I love that sound! Pickles, jams, jellies....love to hear that ping-pop! You're right, it's tough to describe, but wonderful to hear! Great job!

Unknown said...

Oh my how delicious! Take some of that ginger lemon jam and put it with goat cheese on crackers. That is my absolute favorite! Lucky you to have access to fresh figs right off the tree!

Linda said...

I have never made fig preserves. My mom still does, but I haven't tried. I'm set, though, to go pick cactus "tunas" with my sister and make jelly from them. It should be an experience!!!Hopefully, not a prickly one!